Can the Nexus One on Android 2.2.2 use invisible Wifi signals?

This is a discussion on Can the Nexus One on Android 2.2.2 use invisible Wifi signals? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; When I just got my Nexus One it was running a version of Android 2.1, and 2.2 wasn't out yet. I quickly realized, unlike my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the Nexus One on Android 2.2.2 use invisible Wifi signals?

Question Can the Nexus One on Android 2.2.2 use invisible Wifi signals?

When I just got my Nexus One it was running a version of Android 2.1, and 2.2 wasn't out yet.

I quickly realized, unlike my iTouch (or even DSi XL), for some stupid reason while there was the option of manually inputting a wifi network, my Nexus One wasn't able to connect to my invisible wifi network after the initial set up. Upon the completion of the set up, my Nexus One would connect, then it wouldn't if it tried to connect again with the stored information.

After some back and forth with Google customer service where they kept telling me useless facts that didn't help me, I eventually got the response that "the Nexus One doesn't support the use of invisible wifi signals at this time".

As such, I was forced to switch my router to visible mode.

I was wondering, since then, if the updates the Nexus One has received have enabled it to use Invisible Wifi signals or not. Does anyone know?

Thanks for the help!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I've had my N1 since April last year and I quickly found out what you just went through. It drove me buggy a couple of days, but eventually I came to the same conclusion and unhid my WiFi signal. I never tried to hide my WiFi signal after that as I had changed the encription and made the password this asctomically HUGE nonsense password. (which was fun as anyone who came over with a wireless laptop and wanted to use my WiFi, I had to plug in the USB memory stick and copy and paste the password into the box).

I'm using it with an airport extreme invisible network and it works just fine

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Oh I have 2.2.2. If that makes any difference I have no idea

Quote Originally Posted by TNA206 View Post

That's great, what is the airport extreme invisible network?

Quote Originally Posted by N1David View Post

Air Port Extreme is a wireless access point made by Apple.

"invisible" in this context just mean do not broadcast SSID, which is not really invisible , but it makes it a little harder for a random person to connect to your wireless.
    Asus Transformer & Dock - Stock OS
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7 on mSD
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted
    SquareTrade Warranty - Purchased
    Case-Mate Tough Case + Screen Protector
    Wave Secure + Lookout

Quote Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by N1David View Post

Air Port Extreme is a wireless access point made by Apple.

"invisible" in this context just mean do not broadcast SSID, which is not really invisible , but it makes it a little harder for a random person to connect to your wireless.
    Thanks Vincent

Yea. Tux Vincent couldn't have explained it better myself

Using 2.1, 2.2, 2.2.1 and 2.3.1 I have been able to connect to Hidden SSID's no problem at all depending on the ROM. I have not tried 2.2.2 yet to say for sure but suspect factory 2.2.2 I would be able to as well. I have run stock 2.1, stock 2.2, Enoms 2.2.1 and MMGingerbread 2.3.1 with no issues. I did however find that all MIUI Rom's I could not connect to hidden SSID's and as such can't use them. My home wifi is hidden and I can control that but my work wifi is also hidden and I am not the admin of that network so I can't change it obviously. My home router is currently a Dlink DIR-628. Works is an enterprise Cisco unit.
    Nexus One (AT&T version)
    ROM: SuperOSR-ST@-Nexus-2.2.0-AW
    Radio: 5.12.00.08
    HBOOT: 0.35.0017
    [b]Recovery:4EXT Recovery Control
    Rooted using: Universal Androot 1.6.2 beta 5
    SD Card: 16GB Class 4 SD, 1GB Ext4

I haven't applied the ota update yet, but I am on stock 2.2.1 and have no trouble with hidden ssid networks. I don't see why they would strip that function out with a minor bug fix patch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links