Goodbye Gingerbread, Hello Froyo!

This is a discussion on Goodbye Gingerbread, Hello Froyo! within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; So after about 6 weeks of testing various Gingerbread ROM's, I gave up due to little bugs. Now don't get me wrong, the gingerbread ROMs ...

Thread: Goodbye Gingerbread, Hello Froyo!

Goodbye Gingerbread, Hello Froyo!

So after about 6 weeks of testing various Gingerbread ROM's, I gave up due to little bugs. Now don't get me wrong, the gingerbread ROMs are overall pretty stable but there has been so many "little" annoyances that I ended up going over to a rooted copy of 2.2.2.

After coming back to 2.2.2, I've noticed the keyboard layout is much nicer and quicker to use than GB (IMO). However, I have missed the black styling of Gingerbread but luckily I found a nice black status bar which I could install since the 2.2.2 I have is stock, but rooted.

I'm now absolutely loving Froyo again, I've got the phone exactly as I wanted, which is basically latest stock ROM with the added benefits of:

1. Trackball Color Notifications (Thanks to Blink! & Gmail Notifier App)
    2. Black Status Bar (with battery % and H for HSDPA)
    3. Trackball Wake
    4. A2SD
    5. Full root & busybox

If you're interested, I managed to get the above with the following links that be useful:

FRG83G (2.2.2) Rooted with busybox, A2SD & trackball wake (from this thread)

Black Status Bar Patch (from this thread)

Blink! Android App (Note than when testing this app you need to switch of screen to see it work!)

Gmail Notifier Optional - for Gmail users who want a separate trackball LED color (since Blink doesn't have this option)
    Nothing is perfect, but we must not lose faith in perfection. If we did, everything would be a whole lot worse than it is now!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You may want to consider Light Flow for your colored notifications. It's got what seems like everything you could possibly want to be notified by built in, and the developer is very responsive to requests.

http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...uccession.html

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    You may want to consider Light Flow for your colored notifications. It's got what seems like everything you could possibly want to be notified by built in, and the developer is very responsive to requests.

Nice! Thanks for the info, gonna try it out now!
    Nothing is perfect, but we must not lose faith in perfection. If we did, everything would be a whole lot worse than it is now!

+1 I did this 2 weeks ago

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post

Thanks for the comment! It also seems to work on the official gingerbread release which for most apps seem to now be broken.

There's certainly something wrong with notifications in the official gb release as even the simplest test case from the android sdk doesn't work anymore. I'm not even 100% sure why my app does work when everything else doesn't!

CM7.0.0RC1
    Or
    CM6.1.1 stable if you're scared like I was when I first rooted

Studying up on RODS MIUI as my next leap into outer space

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy82 View Post

I'm now absolutely loving Froyo again, I've got the phone exactly as I wanted, which is basically latest stock ROM with the added benefits of:

1. Trackball Color Notifications (Thanks to Blink! & Gmail Notifier App)
    2. Black Status Bar (with battery % and H for HSDPA)
    3. Trackball Wake
    4. A2SD
    5. Full root & busybox

I run GB 2.3.3

• GingerBread installs all my apps 2 SD by default and is pretty effective. (93 apps in drawer total, still got 75 mb memory free)
    • Using Track Light/Light Flow for trackball notifications, no problems so far.
    • All my apps are working correctly.
    • Root : so I can't root yet but I don't feel the need for it yet since GB is fulfilling my needs ATM.
    • I like the GB keyboard way better than Froyo
    • GB default status bar is black

Nevertheless, thanks for your share, another option is given to N1 owners...

I like gingerbread, i will not move back to froyo.

Gingerbread is fun and aesthetically pleasing. Froyo is much better on battery drain, just as smooth and is not wonky. CM7 RC101 is VERY wonky. Now, I've not experienced stock GB yet and may just go back to stock to experience it. As for now I keep finding myself going back to my old CM6.1.1 ROMs because it is quite nice.

Just getting real frustrated with CM7 RC1.

If you go to stock on Gingerbread, I recommend finding a pre-rooted version, because there is currently no released method to root without unlocking your bootloader...

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links