Is it too late to buy a N1?

This is a discussion on Is it too late to buy a N1? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi guys, Been lurking here for a while, contracts up with my rogers blackberry. Ready to join the world of Android. Do you think it's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it too late to buy a N1?

Is it too late to buy a N1?

Hi guys,
    Been lurking here for a while, contracts up with my rogers blackberry.
    Ready to join the world of Android.

Do you think it's too late to buy a nexus one (Feb 2011)? Rogers currently offers the Galaxy S but I'm falling for the nexus one. Just feels solid. The screen isn't as nice as the galaxy but it's not terrible. The Nexus S is slated to come to Canada pretty soon...

Would you buy a N1 at this point?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Feebz13 View Post
    Hi guys,
    Been lurking here for a while, contracts up with my rogers blackberry.
    Ready to join the world of Android.

Do you think it's too late to buy a nexus one (Feb 2011)? Rogers currently offers the Galaxy S but I'm falling for the nexus one. Just feels solid. The screen isn't as nice as the galaxy but it's not terrible. The Nexus S is slated to come to Canada pretty soon...

Would you buy a N1 at this point?
    I found some on Amazon. And I love the solid feel of the n1 that's why I own a Nokia n8 too. Not really into the plasticity feel of the n's.

Here's my story of deciding what's better.

I purchased nexus one on late November 2010 (not too long time ago =)). At that point it was already clear that nexus S is coming and even more, there were photos specifications and so on. I could wait for it to come up, but I didn't like its plastic look and, have to admit, I treated Samsung with preconception... can't say I ever faced bad quality by them... don't know why really... I just wasn't sure in quality.

So I bought nexus one. I was pretty satisfied with it, but there was one huge problem with it, which, apparently is observed on about 50% of devices. The problem that the touch screen stops reacting on presses adequately up to few times per day, and the only way to get rid of it is reboot the phone. Symptoms were: you could try to press S on keyboard and it would hit "back" soft key instead, or try to hit somewhere above the keyboard and it would hit some keyboard key and so on, I could continue with examples, but there are tons of threads on the net (and on this forum as well) regarding that specific issue. While trying to find a way to fix it, I found out that neither google nor htc aren't going to do anything with it, they were just pointing to one another and noone really seemed to be willing to fix it. That (and removed nexus one page from google site, and two months that google is "releasing" gingerbread for nexus one) made a fact that google is not officially considering nexus one as their own product anymore clear as a day for me. So I went to the BestBuy to try out the nexus s. I can't say I liked its look when was holding it live, but I noticed it's definitely faster than nexus one (because of gingerbread, if you install cm7 on one they're pretty the same). I decided to buy it, use it for a while and then to make a final decision, which phone to keep and which to sell.

After using both phones for about 3 weeks I eventually decided to keep Nexus S, and the reasons were:
    1) This is latest google phone and it's first in the line for receiving updates
    2) It has front facing camera, which will allow to make video calls when appropriate skype version will be released
    3) The SuperAMOLED is awesome
    4) No touch screen glitches.

Everything else is pretty the same, and I really miss the trackball.

Now, if I was able somehow to replace my glitchy nexus one, I would do that, but in my country it's not sold officially so of course no warranty, you get what you get. So I actually had no real choice. If they're selling nexus ones in Canada officially, you can give it a try. In worst case (the same issues with the screen) I guess you can always return it within 1 month (though I'm not sure).

And answering your question, I'd say, knowing all that I already know after bought Nexus One, I don't think I would buy it, first of all because of lack of support that this awesome phone gets from its creators.

Personally I would take the Nexus One over the Nexus S any day of the week. Sorry not a huge fan of the Samsung line of phone for various reasons.

To tell you the truth though if I were in you position I would patiently wait a few more months as there are some really nice dual core phones coming out that will completely blow away the Nexus One as well as the Nexus S. These new phones coming out soon will be game changers in the phone world and will become a standard in the industry as far as android smart phones go. Perhaps I am wrong but this is just my opinion.

I guess it all depends if you have the patience to wait or not.

P.S. Welcome to the forum. You came to the right place to ask these questions as there are lots of experience here.
    Rooted One Click Method 8/11/10
    Unlocked Bootloader 11/11/10
    Rom: CM7 RC1 w/ Honeybread theme

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    (I'll either find a way or make one)

DragonGunner

Quote Originally Posted by dragongunner View Post
    Personally I would take the Nexus One over the Nexus S any day of the week. Sorry not a huge fan of the Samsung line of phone for various reasons.

To tell you the truth though if I were in you position I would patiently wait a few more months as there are some really nice dual core phones coming out that will completely blow away the Nexus One as well as the Nexus S. These new phones coming out soon will be game changers in the phone world and will become a standard in the industry as far as android smart phones go. Perhaps I am wrong but this is just my opinion.

P.S. Welcome to the forum. You came to the right place to ask these questions as there are lots of experience here.
    We really don't know much about the upcoming phones. There are two reasons I'm not holding my breath on these.

1. Battery. Dual core and 4g are bound to devour your battery, so...
    2. ...why pay the ridiculous prices they are going to charge for these when you really won't have anything significantly better. The Attrix will be going for $300 plus $45 to be able to use the game changing features" not to mention the minimum price of $120 for the dock as well...

color me very skeptical.

One more thing. Since canada always seems to be about 3-6 months behind on the release of new phones, I'd say look for something a little older and save some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by dudewithaplan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dragongunner View Post

We really don't know much about the upcoming phones. There are two reasons I'm not holding my breath on these.

1. Battery. Dual core and 4g are bound to devour your battery, so...
    2. ...why pay the ridiculous prices they are going to charge for these when you really won't have anything significantly better. The Attrix will be going for $300 plus $45 to be able to use the game changing features" not to mention the minimum price of $120 for the dock as well...

color me very skeptical.

One more thing. Since canada always seems to be about 3-6 months behind on the release of new phones, I'd say look for something a little older and save some cash.
    What you say is very true Dude. I guess as an N1 owner its more easy to say be patient and wait compared to someone who does not have an N1.

I also am skeptical about the new phones coming out as well as their pricing but I am hoping that they will be reasonably priced. They will most certainly have their problems but will be game changers none the less IMO.

I just wish that Google had put out a dual core Google experience phone rather than the Nexus S. Unfortunately that wont happen any time soon as the Nexus S just hit the market.
    Rooted One Click Method 8/11/10
    Unlocked Bootloader 11/11/10
    Rom: CM7 RC1 w/ Honeybread theme

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    (I'll either find a way or make one)

DragonGunner

I wish Google had done that as well. Imo the Nexus S was more of an afterthought than anything. They wanted to get the NFC chip in the hands of devs asap. I'm guessing the next Nexus will came out sooner thn a year later...either that or they'll give up on the line altogether (hope not). I just keep dreaming about what they'll have available for me to spend my tax rebate on in a year!

@Dude:
    I've got a similar thought process, I Just needed validation. Right now I can get the N1 for about $400 (brand new) taxes in. Not sure what the S will be priced at but my guess is around $600. Right now for my dollar, this seems like the best deal and I don't know when the sellers stock will be depleted.

@d4ni3l: This was my concern with buying an older phone. With the S out I wonder if they'll forget about the trusty N1. I have read about this glitchy screen issue, doesn't sound promising that a fix is on the way. The warranty I'll get on a new phone is only 14 days with the seller so hopefully I'll be able to discover it within the first 2 weeks.

Really like the N1, I wouldn't mind seeing a S.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Do what I did, get a rogers plan, sell your phone you get with it on craigslist, but before you do buy a used N1 on ebay that works with rogers. Use your sold phone as money back ( you might do better than break even and now you have a great phone complete owned and controlled by you. If you can try and buy a used one still within warranty period, because HTC is great about honoring it. I dropped my n1 one week after buying it used and they mailed me a replacement immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Feebz13 View Post
    @Dude:
    I've got a similar thought process, I Just needed validation. Right now I can get the N1 for about $400 (brand new) taxes in. Not sure what the S will be priced at but my guess is around $600. Right now for my dollar, this seems like the best deal and I don't know when the sellers stock will be depleted.

@d4ni3l: This was my concern with buying an older phone. With the S out I wonder if they'll forget about the trusty N1. I have read about this glitchy screen issue, doesn't sound promising that a fix is on the way. The warranty I'll get on a new phone is only 14 days with the seller so hopefully I'll be able to discover it within the first 2 weeks.

Really like the N1, I wouldn't mind seeing a S.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Make sure you know all about the seller, because there are knock-offs out there. In fact I've heard there are more of them than the real deal in China for example. $400 seems too good to be true to me. This a reputable dealer. HTC Nexus One Quad-band Cell Phone- Unlocked in Cell Phones at JR.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links