Nexus One and Rooting

This is a discussion on Nexus One and Rooting within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I just unlocked my bootloader and attempted to root the device, hoping to flash my baby with Cyanogen 6. Unfortunately, I have been unable to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nexus One and Rooting

Junior Member robzy2112@yahoo.com's Avatar

Workaround for Gingerbread Recovery Error?

I just unlocked my bootloader and attempted to root the device, hoping to flash my baby with Cyanogen 6. Unfortunately, I have been unable to get past the anan recovery flash, when I try to run fastboot recovery, the ROM reverts to FR33. I am sorry if this is not enough information...I am sleep deprived and just want to get this done! Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

If you've unlocked your bootloader, the next step is to install a custom recovery via fastboot. Have you done that yet?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Was wondering if anyone had heard of gingerbreak? Supposedly its an exploit from the same guy that made rageinacage (i think thats the correct name)
    Just read about it over at xda

.:. phoneStats .:.
    .:. Nexus One
    .:. version 2.3.4
    .:. build number GRJ22
    .:. ROOT - Stock Gingerbread img
    .:. Update from Gingerbread 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 and maintain root

I've heard of it, but haven't seen it. Apparently the dev is holding out until there are more GB available...

That stinks. We sure could use it here in gingerbreadland!

Thats what I read as well. I wonder if there is any truth to it.
    Would be awesome if it was released soon. I'll more then likely root this time around.
    how does cm manage to release a rooted gb rom? Does it start as a developers rom or something? Sorry for the dumb question

The only difference between a rooted ROM and a stock one is that a rooted ROM will have su and busybox included with the necessary permissions enabled. You can do this with any ROM, but modifying a ROM will break the original signature security, that's why you need a custom recovery to install modded ROMs (stock recovery will only install Google signed files).

CM (and other devs) take things much further than that. They take the original source code, modify it to include a whole host of tweaks, and then they compile and package it as a ROM. Since this is not signed by Google, you need a custom recovery to install.

You could also install through the bootloader, but you need to disable signature verification in the bootloader by unlocking it...

hmmm....
    Even though I have rooted and installed a custom ROM myself.
    For some reason I am still having a really hard time wrapping my head around how the bootloader, ROM, Recovery Image, and all the other pieces come together to give you the ability to flash custom ROMs and other things of that sort.

In froyo 2.2 with rooting tools such as superoneclick, and z4root (i think its called). Did these modify the security signatures in anyway? Or did these rooting tools just use an exploit in the OS that could allow you to get root without heavily modifying the stock ROM?

A recovery image gives you access to features stock recovery images don't give you access to, as I found out when I flashed my G1. Do you have to root before you can flash a custom recovery in all instances (when I did the G1, I rooted the device first)? Does the bootloader in android server a similar purpose to that of grub in linux? Like has google just taken the linux bootloader and created one for android?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links