Nexus One and Rooting

This is a discussion on Nexus One and Rooting within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I have Nexus One for almost a year and I am thinking to root it to Cyanogen mod. I am perfectly fine with original Google ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nexus One and Rooting

Nexus One and Rooting

I have Nexus One for almost a year and I am thinking to root it to Cyanogen mod. I am perfectly fine with original Google built (Froyo), but there are few things that bothers me and I hope Cyanogen may addressed that. Here are my hopes and concerns:

Hopes:

1) Wan't snappier app response. Switching, loading, etc... I noticed that my phone is getting sluggish a little bit. I am sure factory reset would help, but I am thinking to try something new.
    2) I work in office where there is no T-Mobile (USA) signal at all. As soon as I step outside, there is solid 3G connection. My Nexus One sometime get stuck, showing 3G or WiFi connection icon, but there is no connection at all. I usually have to turn on/off Wifi or 3G to get connection back. Very annoying problem which I have for longest time. I also noticed that 1 or 2 bar 3G is actually no connection at all, most of the times. I am tired of that and thinking maybe cyanogen version would have better behavior.
    3) Want to change status bar color to be black. (This one is silly I know)
    4) All apps to be installed to SD card by default

Concerns:

1) I used to have Cyanogen on my old G1. With every next cyanogen update my G1 was getting worse. Initial performance increase disappeared. Some apps I wouldn't be able to uninstall, icons where disappearing from desktop, freezes, etc.
    2) I want to be able easy to unroot my phone if cyanogen doesn't meet my expectations. There are plenty guidelines how to root, but now how to unroot.
    3) All apps on SD card on G1 didn't work quite well. Not sure if that was because faulty SD card or for some other reason, but on G1 I had a lot of weird things happening with apps.

If somebody can address any of this issues and share their experience, I will be greatful.

Thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Since you're thinking of rooting, my advice is to simply try it for yourself. Unrooting is very easy, so you can just go back to your current status any time you chose...

Here's my guide...
    http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...e-windows.html

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

DR knows his stuff! You'll be fine. I waited and waited to root. I finally pulled the trigger about three weeks ago. I'm never looking back. eff stock ROM!

Hopes:
    1)CM might help this problem...might not. It depends on how many apps you have, whether they are on your SD card or not and most importantly... how fast your SD card is. My phone/apps is/are speedy enough and I have almost all of my apps on SD.
    2) Don't think CM will help this problem at all. How old is your sim card? It's been brought to my attention that the sim cards that are older than a year don't handle data as fast. In addition the more wear it has the worse it performs. It seems to me that is either that or a faulty radio, but NOT your ROM.
    3) you won't get a black notification bar unless you install CM7 (Nightlies) which is a Gingerbread ROM. Only Gingerbread/HoneyBread/GiggleBread have the black notification bar. The last two are.... I take that all back. CM7 RC is now here! I must get! Anyway. Those are Themes which require CM7.
    4) in order for this, you need to dl Move2SD enabler from the market. Then set it to external.

Concerns:
    1) ADW Launcher EX force closes and locks up from time to time. It's not a MOD problem...at least from my experience. I've lost app icons because I moved them to the SD card and they weren't capable of handling it. Is this a MOD problem? Not sure. As for performance. I haven't updated yet, but my guess is that the G1 prcessor just wasn't capable of handling the load.
    2)If you want to be able to "unroot" or go back to stock. Follow the instructions for not unlocking the bootloader. You do this and you can blash back to stock easy peasy!
    3)There are some apps that just don't handle being on the SD card well. You should be fine. Swype for example. I can't put it on the SD card. It just disappears. I keep it on the phone.

You'll also want to keep any apps for widgets on the phone.

Thanks guys.

Just one more question:

dudewithaplan suggested: "Follow the instructions for not unlocking the bootloader". As far as I know to install CM you have to unlock it. So, if I unlock bootloader does it mean that I won't be able to go to the stock rom?

Thanks.

You don't have to unlock the bootloader. If you decide to unlock the bootloader, it won't effect your ability to get OTAs our anything else...

Unlocking the bootloader lets you use fastboot commands from your PC, which allows you to flash unofficial (custom) images. You can achieve the same results by rooting and installing a custom recovery...

Lets say I did the one click root and did not unlock my bootloader. Could I still get back to original by doing a factory reset via the phone?
    Asus Transformer & Dock - Stock OS
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7 on mSD
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted
    SquareTrade Warranty - Purchased
    Case-Mate Tough Case + Screen Protector
    Wave Secure + Lookout

Not by doing a factory reset, but you can get back to stock by either flashing a stock ROM or doing the passimg method with a shopping image. Both methods are very easy...

I recently flashed the stock ROM included with ROM Manager, when I rebooted all the OTAs installed, and I was back on a completely stock phone (except for my unlocked bootloader). I then rooted the stock phone in less than 5 minutes...

danger-rat,

Did you get the 3.3.3 update?

I'm guessing you mean 2.3.3...?

No, it was a week our two ago that I switched back to stock. I was trying an experiment, to see how much I could do with terminal emulator on a stock ROM...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links