Was gingerbread worth all that wait?

This is a discussion on Was gingerbread worth all that wait? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by VydorScope Originally Posted by N1David Originally Posted by VydorScope Ever since 3G came to my town I have left wifi off. Wi-Fi ...

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Was gingerbread worth all that wait?

Quote Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by N1David View Post
    Ever since 3G came to my town I have left wifi off.
    Wi-Fi is faster than the 3G I get.
    I get 2-3mbit on 3g most places...thats about the same speed as my DSL line at home. Many public hot spots around here seem a lot slower then 3g... but honestly even if they were 100times faster I doubt I would notice on a phone. Its not like that would help Pandora, and its not like Im a massive power gamer on my cell. For my use at least I see no advantage for >3mbit on the cell at this time...
    That's really fast. There must not be much demand in your area. I get 2mb max on hsdpa, but I'm in a very congested area. I tether my phone at home and have noticed a HUGE difference in speed. Sometimes it's every bit of half the speed of my old wifi, and other times it's slower than UMS 3g speed (about .5 mb up speed).

I',m amazed that you find wifi that slow. I routinely get 5-7mb up speeds on cable wifi.

One more thing. WiFi drains your battery considerably less than 3g. The only way that that would be different is if you leave it on while roaming. You should always leave WiFi off unless you are using it.

If I'm not actually on the internet, uploading, or downloading, I leave my phone on 2g (edge). That is the most efficient data ther is for your battery. Any widgits, synching or otherwise is happening in the background and therrefor you don't need high speed for that.

Quote Originally Posted by dudewithaplan View Post
    That's really fast. There must not be much demand in your area. I get 2mb max on hsdpa, but I'm in a very congested area. I tether my phone at home and have noticed a HUGE difference in speed. Sometimes it's every bit of half the speed of my old wifi, and other times it's slower than UMS 3g speed (about .5 mb up speed).

I',m amazed that you find wifi that slow. I routinely get 5-7mb up speeds on cable wifi.

One more thing. WiFi drains your battery considerably less than 3g. The only way that that would be different is if you leave it on while roaming. You should always leave WiFi off unless you are using it.

If I'm not actually on the internet, uploading, or downloading, I leave my phone on 2g (edge). That is the most efficient data ther is for your battery. Any widgits, synching or otherwise is happening in the background and therrefor you don't need high speed for that.
    Dont forget I am on AT&T which still has the fastest 3G network. I know that some cities its a reported to be a nightmare, but I travel by car a lot and I typically get better then 2mbit, but that may just be the areas I hit.

As far as wifi beging slow... no my wifi network is far faster then my DSL line can feed it, but its the DSL line that sets the speed (3mbit) not the wifi. Cable in my area sucks big time. Literally down for days at a time, regularly, so while cable is faster, it does me no good!
    Asus Transformer & Dock - Stock OS
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7 on mSD
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted
    SquareTrade Warranty - Purchased
    Case-Mate Tough Case + Screen Protector
    Wave Secure + Lookout

Yes. That's what at&t advertises. In reality its the same as T-Mobile. They both are hsdpa.

Quote Originally Posted by N1David View Post

Wi-Fi is faster than the 3G I get.
    I get 2-3mbit on 3g most places...thats about the same speed as my DSL line at home. Many public hot spots around here seem a lot slower then 3g... but honestly even if they were 100times faster I doubt I would notice on a phone. Its not like that would help Pandora, and its not like Im a massive power gamer on my cell. For my use at least I see no advantage for >3mbit on the cell at this time...

On my cable WIFI i get 15mb.

I've gotten up to 3-4mbps in seattle on t-mobile and on my cable wifi I've gotten up to 20mbps.

I just did a speed test. On 3g I got 2.65 and on wifi a little over 6. 15 is phenominal. But widow is so much faster than 3g. On widow I can FL a song in less than 3 seconds. On 3g its more like 10 or more.seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Gate13 View Post
    My battery is definitely not lasting as long as it did with Froyo, or whatever it was called before froyo. So far every OS update has cut battery life for me.
    So after 1 week with GB I have to agree the battery life has gotten worse so I called HTC told them I have issues and they are sending me out a new battery free great service
    I called HTC today on my battery not lasting issue (again it died on me overnight when I turned off the light it had 100% charge). I was hoping to hear them tell me that it sounds like my battery is dieing and them offer to send me a replacement...NO, that didn't happen. What happened was I was told that my battery lasting 8-9 hours on a charge is normal for the Nexus One. I said that I went to bed at 10 it had 100%, I wake up at 6:30 AM and the battery is dead, that doesn't seem right. Still, he re-iterated that 8-9 hours on a charge is normal; a lot depends on if I am in a bad area it will use more battery to get in touch with the servers (I know my Nexus One hates my bedroom I have had calls drop a few times when on the phone in my room), so I couldn't deny that. Also he recommended this free app on the market called Juice Defender, he said he's been using that on his HTC something and it helped his battery life and I will definitely notice an improvement if I use that app.
    I downloaded and am using that app, not sure what it will do for me though as it tells me "Mobile data control might not (yet) work properly on Gingerbread (Android 2.3)."
    I need to read up on this app - where? I don't know...but for the icon status it reads "All radios/interfaces disabled". My Bluetooth indicator is on, my Wi-fi icon is there, green and 3 of the 4 things lit up green, my cell antenna indicator is lit up green with full indicators.
    I'll play by their rules, thankfully when I called he took my name, number, email, and IMEI # on my phone, so if I do call back, I should be in their system.

Today I actually had to plug in around 5pm with less then 10% remaining... so thats about 11 or 12 hours of normal use. I used to get (pre-froyo, been down hill ever since) to 10 or 11pm with 50% remaining.
    Asus Transformer & Dock - Stock OS
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7 on mSD
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted
    SquareTrade Warranty - Purchased
    Case-Mate Tough Case + Screen Protector
    Wave Secure + Lookout

Maybe, hopefully, we all will see an update coming to fix these issues.
    I still love my Nexus One, can't picture going back to my BlackBerry I shudder at that thought...

Yes. That's what at&t advertises. In reality its the same as T-Mobile. They both are hsdpa.
    There's a lot more to a network than just the wireless protocol that they use from your phone to the tower. A network is only as fast as the weakest link. AT&T's network is solid in most places, with the notable exceptions of SF and NYC.

PC World did a test not too long ago in many major cites and AT&T came out on top. Not but a huge margin though.

Like many people are saying, your wifi is really fast but the slow down is typically at your ISP (though it can also be anywhere in the Internet for that matter).

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links