G2 to N1?

This is a discussion on G2 to N1? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Okay. 2nd time poster here so please bear with me. I am an avid Google user and I love the idea of having their latest ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G2 to N1?

G2 to N1?

Okay. 2nd time poster here so please bear with me. I am an avid Google user and I love the idea of having their latest android updates. From what I hear about the NS, the N1 is still relevant. I have opportunity to trade my G2 for a mint N1.

The biggest reason for me is that I fear the G2 may not get further updates after 2.3 (I've even heard that there is no confirmation of Gingerbread at all by HTC) because of its 800 mhz processor. I really like that the N1 and NS will be getting updates until the hardware becomes obsolete (should be awhile hopefully)

I figured there is no better place to get an experienced opinion than here.

I've read a few things about trading an N1 for the G2, but would it a solid choice to trade a G2 for an N1 plus some cash?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

If getting future updates is your reason for switching phones I wouldn't because there is no hardware limitations for ANY versions of android so your G2 may still get it because even if it is 800MHz that thing still gets better benchmark scores then the N1 does. So I'm going to say that you should still get updates for a while now. But if you really want to make sure I would not go with an N1 I would go with a dual core phone cause they will get updates longer then the nexus one will.

I've had the G1, the N1, and the G2. I manually updated my N1 to 2.3.3 and I still like my G2 better. I can't wait to try out gingerbread on my G2. So it may be just my personal preference, but that's my 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Random21 View Post
    If getting future updates is your reason for switching phones I wouldn't because there is no hardware limitations for ANY versions of android so your G2 may still get it because even if it is 800MHz that thing still gets better benchmark scores then the N1 does. So I'm going to say that you should still get updates for a while now. But if you really want to make sure I would not go with an N1 I would go with a dual core phone cause they will get updates longer then the nexus one will.
    The problem with the dual-core devices (and I say this as a new Atrix owner) is that they add the carriers into the update equation. So, even though Google may release an update for the Atrix, AT&T can hold it up for any number of reasons. The Nexus phones aren't subject to that imposition. So the OP has a case for the Nexus phones as the best vehicle for getting upgrades to Android. I just put 2.3.3 on the Nexus One yesterday...the Atrix will be on 2.2 for a while longer, with nothing announced by either Google or ATT for it, dual core notwithstanding.

Your call, Michael, but I see both sides of this one.

You do have a point on that one but seriously there is not much left to update in the android os anyway so it's not really a big deal if you have froyo you pretty much have everything that your really need.

But ya michale it's your choice.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I don't think I've come across a more responsive online community in quite awhile. I appreciate it.

I went ahead and did it. I have wanted a Nexus device since google first announced it and I'm impressed that its still a relevant smartphone. I didn't have the cash for a nexus s right now and I made 60 bucks out of the deal.
    I know it may have been a silly choice to some. My thought is that by the time the 3rd nexus rolls out, I will be ready and willing to buy it outright.

On the N1: To be honest the only difference I see is that the screen doesn't pop the way the g2 does but its not that marked of a difference. Its nice to not have the bulk of the g2 in my pocket. I like the trackball better than the g2's trackpad. In general, the form factor is more to my liking. I was afraid it would feel "old" but its really snappy feeling.

One thing I didn't realize is that I can't get OTA updates because its rooted, but alot of people are telling me rooted is better anyway. If there is a way to get the OTAs while rooted, I'd love to hear about it. The ironic thing is that it has CyanogenMod 7 on it right now (so much for pure google). I think I would rather have stock android 2.3.3 but I don't really know much about ROMs or how to flash them. I'm researching for the easiest possible way now. Everything I'm reading assumes I know something about rooting. lol.

Thanks again, everyone, and if anyone has any pointers please feel free to tell me how it is.

Interesting observations, Michael. My only beef about the Atrix is the screen...I miss the 'punch' of the Nexus' AMOLED. Maybe you have one of the newer, LED versions. If so, yeah, they do lack that 'snap' that I love about the Nexus.

I'm also a big adherent of stock Google on the Nexus phones. I'm glad I was able to mask the hideously ugly Blur on the Atrix with ADW EX launcher.

When it came time to get the Atrix, I just couldn't bring myself to retire the Nexus One...it's definitely still a relevant device, and should remain so for a while yet to come.
    Congratulations on your choice, ya done good

As for rooting and/or unrooting...check out our hacking section...there are some great threads there, and the easiest to follow are stickied. And if you have specific questions or issues, by all means, ask. There is no more patient or helpful group anywhere in Android land :D

Ok well WERA defiantly has a point on the development and hack section if you want to learn about rooting then go check that out. The other thing I would like to point out is that if your already running cm7 RC1 (that is short for cyanogen mod 7 release candidate 1) you just have all the features of stock plus the ones of cyanogen there is no flashing involved unless you want to switch ROMs but seriously I would stick with cyanogen if I were you. The only thing I feel that I must bring up is that if you want to stick with cyanogen when there is a stable release for cm7 you should flash that because there will be less bugs and more features :D.

But if you absolutely want to go back to stock then you can use the passimg method and you will be back to a stock ROM. I will explain more on the passimg method if you chose to use that method.

Yes. I am going to do the passimg method. cm7 is awesome. I agree I wanna go "pure" just to experience it. I tried the passimg method but it didn't work properly. I somehow got what looks like a stock 2.2 frf91 but it won't update, even after checking in. So I guess I will be trying again.

Manual updates also haven't been working (update.zip). It says that I don't have verification and aborts. I may not have a stock rom, I guess, but I don't know really. Danger-rat gave me a passimg that I hope will work.

I would go check out the build number on the phone that will tell you for sure if your on 2.2 or not. Also if the passimg file is failing then check to make sure that you are not naming it passimg.zip.zip because on widows it makes it .zip automatically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links