gingerbfead app2sd

This is a discussion on gingerbfead app2sd within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I read a few people mention a system inbuilt app2sd with gingerbread. How do I set that up or access it. I am using an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gingerbfead app2sd

gingerbfead app2sd

I read a few people mention a system inbuilt app2sd with gingerbread. How do I set that up or access it. I am using an app from the market still. I tried searching already.
    thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I didnt have to set anything. By default storage option was set to sd.

Posted from my sweet Nexus One on GB via Hit'n'Yak

Quote Originally Posted by Arjun007 View Post
    I read a few people mention a system inbuilt app2sd with gingerbread. How do I set that up or access it. I am using an app from the market still. I tried searching already.
    thanks.
    That app from the market has never done much (Apps2SD) its just an interface to the built in functionality of the OS since Froyo. What changed in GB was the OS appears to do a better job for some apps of moving them to SD. For example Angry Birds was helped greatly, but Touchdown did not change at all.

What I did after the GB update was go through all of my apps that supported the move to SD, moved them back to the phone, and them moved them back to SD and picked up quiet a bit when I was done.
    Asus Transformer & Dock - Stock OS
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7 on mSD
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted
    SquareTrade Warranty - Purchased
    Case-Mate Tough Case + Screen Protector
    Wave Secure + Lookout

Where do you go to move the app to the phone and to the sd? Which screen is it and how do I get there? Please note my phone is not rooted. Please also advise if removing the app2sd app from the market is necessary. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
    thanks.
    That app from the market has never done much (Apps2SD) its just an interface to the built in functionality of the OS since Froyo. What changed in GB was the OS appears to do a better job for some apps of moving them to SD. For example Angry Birds was helped greatly, but Touchdown did not change at all.

What I did after the GB update was go through all of my apps that supported the move to SD, moved them back to the phone, and them moved them back to SD and picked up quiet a bit when I was done.

Where do you go to move the app to the phone and to the sd? Which screen is it and how do I get there? Please note my phone is not rooted. Please also advise if removing the app2sd app from the market is necessary. Thanks!
    I am not rooted, running stock ATT (see my siggy )

The apps2sd is NOT required, but I do use it because it reminds me when apps are being installed that I can move them.

To get to the screen in GB, from your HOME screen press the menu soft button, then pick Manage Apps. Then pick "On SD Card" that should show you all your apps that are currently on the SD card. From there pick an app and you will be at the same screen that apps2sd brings you to.

If you pick "ALL" instead of "On SD card" you will get a list of all your apps, or "On Phone" instead of "on SD card" you will get just those that are on the phone and not the SD card.
    Wave Secure + Lookout

ok thanks - thats helpful. I guess i've moved everything I can though. There isn't a "on phone" option though. I see that in the app I downloaded from the market but not in the manage my applications section.

Apps not able to go to SD:
    adobe flash
    gmail
    words free
    gun bros
    tv guide mobile
    astro
    the weather channel
    market
    tunein radio
    slcaker
    ebay
    tripcase
    geoqpons
    tikl
    indianrecipes
    beautiful widgets
    craigsnotification
    newsrob
    realblackjack
    listen
    compass
    howcast
    etc...

I am not rooted, running stock ATT (see my siggy )

The apps2sd is NOT required, but I do use it because it reminds me when apps are being installed that I can move them.

To get to the screen in GB, from your HOME screen press the menu soft button, then pick Manage Apps. Then pick "On SD Card" that should show you all your apps that are currently on the SD card. From there pick an app and you will be at the same screen that apps2sd brings you to.

If you pick "ALL" instead of "On SD card" you will get a list of all your apps, or "On Phone" instead of "on SD card" you will get just those that are on the phone and not the SD card.

The ones in "On SD" I moved back to phone, and then back to SD to pick up the memory gains that GB gives.
    Wave Secure + Lookout

might be a noob question - but what are so many apps not able to be moved to SD? Is there some trick to allow then to be moved?

I moved as many as able (prior to GB)... and dont understand how moving them back to phone and subsequently back to SD will gain any memory, but I'll try it.

thanks.

Have you ever used the apps2sd application? As Vydorscope said in his post, it's an interface to moving your apps to the SD card. It sorts through all your applications and shows you which applications can be moved to SD. So, no it's not necessary (never was), but it is helpful.

Apps2sd is an excellent place to go to follow his directions.

I, too, however, have seen people say you can force applications to SD that haven't been written for it, and am looking for info on that. I'm assuming, at the moment, they were mistaken, and were only moving programs that could be moved.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusOneToo View Post
    might be a noob question - but what are so many apps not able to be moved to SD? Is there some trick to allow then to be moved?

I moved as many as able (prior to GB)... and dont understand how moving them back to phone and subsequently back to SD will gain any memory, but I'll try it.
    1. I'm not sure What the developers have to do, but they do have to mark their program as being capable of being moved to SD. This, of course, takes some effort on the part of the developer, and for those applications the developers are no longer working on, well...

2. Apparently, the algorithm Android uses to figure out which files to move to SD and which files to keep internally has changed in Gingerbread. The only way to make Android act on this, however, is to make Android act on it. It won't change which files are where unless you do the move internal/move to SD step. If you do that, you may see a change in the size of the apps when you move it.

When I went through the process, I found a couple of apps that had a huge change, but most actually increased in size by 4KB. But in the end, I ended up gaining about 10MB of internal space, so the gain from those apps was relatively insignifcant and it was well worth the effort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links