Help -- battery life (moderate use) only 4-5 hours!! Switch kernel?

This is a discussion on Help -- battery life (moderate use) only 4-5 hours!! Switch kernel? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Let me say at the outset, I've spent hours and hours searching the archives of the site, both here and at XDA and CyanogenMod Forum ...

Thread: Help -- battery life (moderate use) only 4-5 hours!! Switch kernel?

Exclamation Help -- battery life (moderate use) only 4-5 hours!! Switch kernel?

Let me say at the outset, I've spent hours and hours searching the archives of the site, both here and at XDA and CyanogenMod Forum in order to answer my question, but to no avail. With just moderate use, I've never gotten more than 5 to 6 hours of life out of my Nexus One. And yet I keep reading about people getting way, way more than that on their N1's. I'm now running CM 7 RC1, and still only getting ~4-5 hours. I've done several wipes of the phone over the last several months since owning it.

I have 2 back-up batteries (brand-new) that I keep charged. I rotate these in/out of the phone throughout the day. "About Phone"-->"Battery Use," the "Display" is typically ~80-90%. "Android System" is typically at 4-6%. Android OS at 2%.

Brightness always set to the LOWEST level.

Applications: I have only a few very standard/normal apps (Oxford French Dictionary, Google Reader, Pandora, Movies, ezPDF Reader, and Kindle). 137MB of internal storage used, and 59MB free.

I've also tried adjusting things via SetCPU- and this did not help.

If someone can PLEASE, PLEASE give me some pointers, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks.
    -RL

P.S. The only perhaps promising-sounding threads I came across discussed changing the kernel on the phone. My apologies for being such a noob, but I know next to nothing about changing the kernel on the phone, and it's not clear to me if this will disrupt CyanogenMod 7. And it's not clear if this will in fact increase the battery life, since there seems to be such conflicting information about it. Moreover, it's not clear how one goes about actually changing the kernel, or which developers are the most trustworthy, etc.

Kernel: 2.6.37-cyanogenmod-01121-g5d81752shade@toxygene#1
    Build: GRH78C
    Baseband: 32.50.00.32U_5.12.00.08

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Question

I know what you mean. "Been there done that" its a pain in the h. Even on Cyanmod don't get past the same period? That was the main reason for me to try a different rom in a few months...but now after reading what you said, I just don't know. If you get to any conclusion please post in here so we can read it.

Been using CyanogenMod for a few months now, in various iterations/builds. It never helped my battery life. (But the other benefits are of course good). Would seriously like to know what these people who are getting 18 and 24 hours of use on a single charge, with moderate use, are doing to their phones- or if there are simply a lot of people full of crap.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rklight View Post
    ....Would seriously like to know what these people who are getting 18 and 24 hours of use on a single charge, with moderate use, are doing to their phones- or if there are simply a lot of people full of crap....
    I think the issue here is that everyone has a different definition for "moderate use". Not exactly a specific measurement now is it when making comparisons from user to user?

Ads