IMPORTANT: Data usage question

This is a discussion on IMPORTANT: Data usage question within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; 1) Under managing applications , in the running tab , do i have to keep anything running , or is it fine to force stop ...

Thread: IMPORTANT: Data usage question

IMPORTANT: Data usage question

1) Under managing applications , in the running tab , do i have to keep anything running , or is it fine to force stop everything in the running tab?

2) Next question if an app is running but not in use , is it still using data ?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I see that 51 people have view my thread and no one has answered , what the hell lol , does nobody know the answer to my questions

1)ive never force stopped anything
    2)go into accounts/sync and uncheck data and sync.
    personally i leave the data ticked and sync un ticked
    my other phone's a nexus too

Quote Originally Posted by marco96 View Post
    I see that 51 people have view my thread and no one has answered , what the hell lol , does nobody know the answer to my questions
    That would be a logical conclusion. Of course you could cuss some more and see if that makes people more eager to help...

Quote Originally Posted by jonno2k View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marco96 View Post
    That would be a logical conclusion. Of course you could cuss some more and see if that makes people more eager to help...
    First of all , i dont think saying what the hell , is cussing lol and second I was speaking in a joking tone , was not trying to come off rude.

depends on the type of app i think

every app i have that might need to do some type of syncing i usually play around with the syncing to make sure it isn't checking every 5 minutes, especially when i am at work

a lot of apps i have seen now come with the option to only sync when connected to wifi which is pretty nice. but if that isn't good enough, just set your app to update in longer intervals.

also a data counting app is always good. i would suggest 3g watch dog or phoneusage. i actually use both haha
    .:. phoneStats .:.
    .:. Nexus One
    .:. version 2.3.4
    .:. build number GRJ22
    .:. ROOT - Stock Gingerbread img
    .:. Update from Gingerbread 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 and maintain root

I've been playing around with "killing apps," data, and sync quite a bit lately. Today I think I stumble onto what works best for me. I used to kill all non-essential apps (about 7 of them) with task killer, every morning before I pulled my phone of the dock. I've been changing what syncs and what doesn't as well. Well, today I left all sync and data running and didn't kill a dang thing. I also have no widgets running.

VOILA!

After 13 hours of minimal use (a 10 min phone call, some texting, several checks of the time/weather/email (I have mail/gmail/yahoo mail all syncing) and a brief stint on the engadget app (this baby drains some juice) my battery still had 79%!!!

I viewed a video linked on a thread in xda that said to do this and sure enough it works. Just let your phone do what it's supposed to do and it will repay you by making you very happy!

Okay. I made a mistake on the previous post. Just insert the word "push" for "sync" every time. My fuzzy brain has fuzz falling off of it!

Quote Originally Posted by tonybhoy View Post
    1)ive never force stopped anything
    2)go into accounts/sync and uncheck data and sync.
    personally i leave the data ticked and sync un ticked
    +1 on
    "go into accounts/sync and uncheck data and sync."

though i use Advanced Task Killer - MANUALLY on occasion

not to shabby dudewithaplan

so do you think you can attribute the battery life to not having any widgets running since you let all your apps run without killing them and let your push data apps go as well?
    .:. phoneStats .:.
    .:. Nexus One
    .:. version 2.3.4
    .:. build number GRJ22
    .:. ROOT - Stock Gingerbread img
    .:. Update from Gingerbread 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 and maintain root

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links