Voip

This is a discussion on Voip within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; So I live in an apartment that has terrible service but my wifi is strong. I have a non rooted n1 with gingerbread and the ...

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Voip

  1. #1
    Junior Member hbboarder87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    18

    Voip

    So I live in an apartment that has terrible service but my wifi is strong. I have a non rooted n1 with gingerbread and the update brought internet calling. I have a gizmo5 acct. And I use Google voice. But I don't know how to set it up together to make free internet calling... Can anyone help. I'm trying to set it up so that I can call using wifi. Free if possible. Thanks!

  2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

  3. #2
    Android Lurker danger-rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    0
    This was the big thread over at xda for a while, but it seems to have been quiet lately...
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=831233

    Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    Android Lurker Birdeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    0
    wait two weeks for android Viber app to come out.
    I have a working closed beta on an unrooted N1 and it works flawlessly.

  5. #4
    Senior Member davidalow44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    125
    Even though Google cancelled Gizmo5, my Gizmo5 number still works through Google Voice. GV acts as the gateway between my Nexus using SIP and the traditional telephone system.

    1) Do you have a SIP 747 "number" from Gizmo5? This will enable you to talk to other SIP clients.
    2) Do you have a Google phone number from GV? Just go to Settings->Add-another-phone and choose Gizmo as the phone type. Enter your 747 number This will ring your SIP number when your GV number rings.
    3) Then go to your Nexus and set it up via Call Settings->Use Internet Calling. This will allow calling out from your SIP number via GV.

  6. #5
    Junior Member hbboarder87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by birdeye View Post
    wait two weeks for android Viber app to come out.
    I have a working closed beta on an unrooted N1 and it works flawlessly.
    I'm stoked for this. Any updates on release?

  7. #6
    Junior Member hbboarder87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by davidalow44 View Post
    Even though Google cancelled Gizmo5, my Gizmo5 number still works through Google Voice. GV acts as the gateway between my Nexus using SIP and the traditional telephone system.

    1) Do you have a SIP 747 "number" from Gizmo5? This will enable you to talk to other SIP clients.
    2) Do you have a Google phone number from GV? Just go to Settings->Add-another-phone and choose Gizmo as the phone type. Enter your 747 number This will ring your SIP number when your GV number rings.
    3) Then go to your Nexus and set it up via Call Settings->Use Internet Calling. This will allow calling out from your SIP number via GV.
    im at the point where i dont know what to put for the username, password, server, etc...any advice?

  8. #7
    Senior Member davidalow44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by hbboarder87 View Post

    im at the point where i dont know what to put for the username, password, server, etc...any advice?
    Well, the VOIP landscape has changed - the Google GIZMO5 service no longer works for me at all.

    I went to another SIP service, Callcentric in my case (there are many), and signed up for DID-pay per call, which gives you an incoming number for $1.95/month and calls at about $.015/min. Unfortunately, the built-in Android VOIP stack does not work correctly with Callcentric (some keep-alive problem), so I settled on the CSipSimple app, which has a Callcentric profile built-in.

    This means that I set up Google Voice to dial the Callcentric incoming number, so when somebody calls my GV number, both my cell and Callcentric numbers can ring, a bit confusing.

    I'm not sure I would recommend the above approach to anybody, but it more or less works for me.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Ringtones
    By Epic Forums User in forum Samsung Epic 4G
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Android Forum