update.zip stopped working

This is a discussion on update.zip stopped working within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hiya! Before installing CM7, I decided to make sure I knew how to backup all of my apps/settings. Right now everything is the free version, ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: update.zip stopped working

Red face update.zip stopped working

Hiya!

Before installing CM7, I decided to make sure I knew how to backup all of my apps/settings.
    Right now everything is the free version, but as soon as the means become available I plan to buy RomManager, etc. Which means I want to make sure my understanding of backups is sufficient.

I'm currently running CM7 RC4, and have a full backup image made in Clockworkmod. I used TitaniumBackup (free version) to backup all of my apps and then wiped user cache / factory reset.

After skipping the option to sign into my google account on next boot, I went back into CWM and tried to reinstall TiBackup via both the "update.zip" and "install from zip" tools. Both completed successfully, but the app never reappeared. So I then went to install it through the market again, but didn't have G-apps :/
    So I tried installing Gapps with update.zip, which didn't work either.

I ended up restoring to my current RC4 backup. What confuses me is that I know I used one of the CWM tools to install gapps the first time. . What changed? How does "installing ROM" / "Install from zip" really work? Is it just for updating the phone OS (i.e. installing CM7)?

Thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

GAPPS gets flashed just like a ROM. All you have to do is put the zip on the root of your SD card and flash in recovery after flashing CM7. you must select Choose zip from SD. not apply update.zip.

Honestly tho you can just flash CM7 over your RC4 setup. Just make sure to Wipe Cache first before flashing. If done that way you don't need to reflash the GAPPS.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Which recovery are you using?

OK, That makes sense. I might try the update method, but I'd still like to get backups / roms working :D

I currently have ClockworkMod 3.0.0.5

My suggestion is to avoid cwm 3.x
    It's not compatible with some older style zips, and may also have other issues...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

See? I don't know these things :D

Thanks, I'll go try to find an earlier release.

OK, I reverted to CWM 2.5.1.4 and the TiBackup.zip still didn't work.
    I tried a second time after "fixing permissions" and "Wipe Dalvik Cache". Dalvik Cache completed unsuccessfully, tried .zip again, didn't work.
    Near the end of the install from .zip script, there was a complaint about sd-ext, and when I rebooted and entered RomManager, it claimed the sd card wasn't mounted.

:/ Now I'm really lost

P.S. For future reference, should I just edit my last post with this kind of info? I'm not very versed with bump etiquette.

Sounds like the exact same problems I got from using cwm 3.x. It messed up my card, also.

Back up the FAT partition of your card to your PC, reformat and partition the card, restore the FAT, and you should be good to go again...

Stay away from cwm 3.x

Thanks. Sorry about the formatting, I have to use a proxy at school, and it kills form submissions.

I don't see the formatting with Tapatalk... :-)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links