2.3.4, build GRJ22

This is a discussion on 2.3.4, build GRJ22 within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by danger-rat It's anyone's guess if the current manual root will work in 2.3.4 To get root, you basically install the su and ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.3.4, build GRJ22

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    It's anyone's guess if the current manual root will work in 2.3.4

To get root, you basically install the su and busybox files to your phone, and give them the right permissions to allow them to run. In order to install the files, you need to break the security of one of the primary interfaces (bootloader, recovery, or the ROM itself). Gingerbreak (manual root exploit) temporarily breaks the security of the ROM (temp root), allowing you to install the files, and then gain permanent root...

When you install an update, the folder in which the files are located will be rewritten or the permissions will change. Either way the su and busybox files will be useless, and you will lose root...

Since you have root, it's very ready to install a custom recovery (removing security from the recovery interface). Once you have a custom recovery you can flash files other than ones signed directly by Google. If you want to update to the next version that is released, just install it through recovery, but you can also install su and busybox, and thus keep root...

The stock Android ROM overwrites the recovery with a stock image every time you reboot. In order to prevent this (and keep your custom recovery) you need to delete two files from the phone. To make this easier, I made a flashable zip that will do this, which I call Fix_Recovery. You would need to flash it before you reboot, because if you reboot, you will end up with a stock recovery and unable to flash anything unless it is signed by Google...

Hope this helps?
    Sorry for the super late response. I read your post a few days back but I haven't been able to get the time to reply.

So after reading this a couple of times I think I understand a little bit more what you are suggesting.

Since I have root now, if I flash a custom recovery, I can use that to update the phone to the latest stock build from google by downloading the update.zip file (or whatever it may be called) and flashing it via the custom recovery.

Once the update has been installed, I can use the custom recovery to install the su.apk and busybox which will maintain my root access? Is my understanding correct? Or am I wrong in that?

The one thing I don't think I understand is how a custom recovery would enable you to be able to install root apps such as su. I understand that one level of security has been gained, but by doing so it also grants you root access to the other parts of the phone as well?

It seems like it might be almost the best option to flash a custom recovery as it sounds like it is a more "permanent" method of rooting the phone. This would hinge though on making sure to apply the fix that you have in order to prevent a stock ROM from over writing the recovery image every time you reboot. Am I right to assume this? Or not so much?

Sorry for my rambling, I just want to make sure I have a firm understanding of how all this works!

Thank you though danger-rat for taking the time to explain it!
    .:. phoneStats .:.
    .:. Nexus One
    .:. version 2.3.4
    .:. build number GRJ22
    .:. ROOT - Stock Gingerbread img
    .:. Update from Gingerbread 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 and maintain root

Yup, thats pretty much what I meant...

The ROM, recovery, and bootloader all 'trust' each other, so you can trick them into doing things you can't normally do (hack one, and you can hack the others)...

thanks danger-rat.. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding everything okay.

So out of curiosity, is this what you do? Or is your bootloader unlocked, with custom recovery, and custom ROM?

If I were to flash a custom recovery, which would you recommend? I have heard of clockworkmod, which I believe is pretty popular. but are there any recoveries that work really well with the Nexus One?

My bootloader is unlocked. I like this, because I can instal any ROM, try the latest root methods, or do whatever, and can always flash custom recovery and terror what I like...

I usually run with CM7, because there are a few tweaks that I think are essential, such as using 3G only (because my phone seems to prefer 2G for some reason), the notification bar tweaks, etc.

When Gingerbread came out, the fittest thing I did was install it, flash custom recovery, fix recovery, and then start using the standard root methods to see if anything worked. Having custom recovery meant I could backup and switch back to CM7. I could also switch back to Gingerbread when ever I wanted, and try and root again...

I prefer CWM 2.5.1.4, because I've been using it since before Amon Ra added a lot of the same features. I also like the fact that you can see some of what it's doing (unlike Amon). Also, Clockwork is available for pretty much all of the rooted devices out there (which speaks for itself)...

Thats interesting!
    Thank you for your opinion on ClockWorkMod. I think if I decide to flash custom recovery I will probably go with that. Plus they have the app that you can purchase from the market that helps in flashing ROM's and zip files right?

In your post you said that you flashed gingerbread when it came out and then a custom recovery.
    I am assuming you did this because like you said, you wanted to test out the manual rooting methods and to do this its best to be on stock gingerbread.

Since I am sort of in that boat right now. I could just flash a custom recovery and apply your fix and I would be set to go for the next update and would be able to maintain root.

I will have to scan through the XDA forums to see if there are any tutorials on flashing ClockWorkMod.

Out of curiosity, if I completely butcher this can I send you my phone to see if you can fix it? kidding kidding!

Here's the link, if anyone is interested?
    http://android.clients.google.com/pa...0.71d2f9ec.zip

Battery

Has anyone noticed how poor the battery life is yet?

Asus Transformer & Dock - Stock OS
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7 on mSD
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted
    SquareTrade Warranty - Purchased
    Case-Mate Tough Case + Screen Protector
    Wave Secure + Lookout

Cant seem to get this to work. Copied the file over to the SD card via USB named it update.zip as always (and yes, I know about update.zip.zip mistake ) and did the reboot in to the bootloader, then pick recovery. A message flashes by real fast where it says "no image found" and if I try recovery at this point it just gives me the android and triangle with ! in the center. Have to do a battery pull to get past it. I did try re-downloading and re copying the files... no luck. I did both Froyo and Gingerbread manually with out problems.

ATT Nexus One not-rooted running GRI40
    Asus Transformer & Dock - Stock OS
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7 on mSD
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted
    SquareTrade Warranty - Purchased
    Case-Mate Tough Case + Screen Protector
    Wave Secure + Lookout

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links