The phone I bought is rooted....what does that mean to me?

This is a discussion on The phone I bought is rooted....what does that mean to me? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Sorry in advance for all the questions.....I'm not even sure this is in the right section.... I'm completely new to the whole android system (I ...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The phone I bought is rooted....what does that mean to me?

The phone I bought is rooted....what does that mean to me?

Sorry in advance for all the questions.....I'm not even sure this is in the right section....

I'm completely new to the whole android system (I just got a xoom a couple weeks ago) and the phone I bought and am waiting on is rooted. What does that mean to me? Is there anything I can do to screw up the phone? Will the phone be impeded any way by this? Can I accidentally "un root" or harm anything when I get updates? Thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Ok well being rooted means you have superuser access I don't know if you know the term "jailbreaking" for iphones well rooting is the equivalent for android phones and basically it means you have access to file you wouldn't normally you can easily unroot or stay rooted and explore the awesomeness that it comes with it. The best way to learn about root would be to check out the development and hacking section.

Yes you can accidentally "unroot" your phone. Its not a big deal now that we have gingerbreak, but you might want to avoid it being rooted opens up a whole new world for you and your phone.

The fact that you are on the forum asking this question tells me that you are one who would seek out and enjoy the benefits.

Dude is correct. Check out the hacking forum.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dudewithaplan View Post
    Dude is correct. Check out the hacking forum.
    Which Dude? ... :rofl3:

Wink

Both of us ;-)

The other thing you may wasn't to consider is that a rooted phone may have a custom ROM installed, and custom ROMs require the user to keep them up to date. A stock ROM will update on it's own, but will lose root in the process...

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    The other thing you may wasn't to consider is that a rooted phone may have a custom ROM installed, and custom ROMs require the user to keep them up to date. A stock ROM will update on it's own, but will lose root in the process...
    I have rom m
    anager 3.0.1.4 Is that one that I have to keep updated? If so, how? Thanks!

Rom manager is not a custom rom. It is an app that has two different modifications that enable you to flash roms. They are clockwork mod and amon ra. Clockwork comes as the default and enables you to flash roms and update directly from rom manager. Both also enable access, and the ability to backup your current OS as well as flash backups that you can run in case you want/need to.

Inside of rom manager it will tell you what you are running. Most likely a version of clockwork. It has problems. Especially if you are running a version that is 3.0 or later.

If you want to know what rom you are running, go to settings>about phone and scroll to the second from bottom listing. Tell us what it says.

Quote Originally Posted by dudewithaplan View Post
    Rom manager is not a custom rom. It is an app that has two different modifications that enable you to flash roms. They are clockwork mod and amon ra. Clockwork comes as the default and enables you to flash roms and update directly from rom manager. Both also enable access, and the ability to backup your current OS as well as flash backups that you can run in case you want/need to.

Inside of rom manager it will tell you what you are running. Most likely a version of clockwork. It has problems. Especially if you are running a version that is 3.0 or later.

If you want to know what rom you are running, go to settings>about phone and scroll to the second from bottom listing. Tell us what it says.
    Thanks for the help! It says the Mod version is Cyanogen 7.0.0-N1
    By the way I feel like a retard. I have messed with computers my whole life but this stuff is so foreign to me. I was never a whiz or anything but I knew how and why things worked. Either this is just a whole different baby or I'm getting old.

Sweet! Now go to rom manager and at the top section it will yell you your current recovery. What is it,

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links