Slightly noob question: Did I just kill my N1 trying to update ROM?

This is a discussion on Slightly noob question: Did I just kill my N1 trying to update ROM? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi all! I am a long-time N1 user but have been in South Asia for a year and away from the reach of 3G or ...

Thread: Slightly noob question: Did I just kill my N1 trying to update ROM?

Slightly noob question: Did I just kill my N1 trying to update ROM?

Hi all!

I am a long-time N1 user but have been in South Asia for a year and away from the reach of 3G or WiFi. Having just returned to Singapore I decided, late last night, to update my ROM from a year-old version of Cyanogenmod to a new one. When I started going through the process I found there is now an app ROM Manager that will do most of the work you, so I decided to go with that.

When it came to downloading the ROM I saw that there are now a lot of alternatives to Cyanogenmod, which weren't there when I last looked at this kind of thing. In my tiredness I had a super-quick look through and decided to try a different one (which I think was called Pershoot, though I can't even be sure of that, but I'll put the phone info below so someone smarter than me can be sure) (In hindsight it seems that this is just a kernel, not a MOD, or something, though I really don't know what any of this means anymore!).

Anyway, when the N1 rebooted the WiFi wasn't working and I haven't been able to get it working since. It just doesn't show any networks and also won't connect if I manually enter the data. I don't have a 3G connection here so I decided to connect it to the computer and fix the problem, but it isn't showing up on the computer either and IIRC from a year ago there should be an option in the menu to "Mount SD card", which isn't showing. So right now i have no connectivity, just something that looks like a stock N1 but does nothing.

What have I done and how can I undo it?

Cheers

(info from the phone's "about phone" menu)

Firmware version 2.1-update1
    Baseband version 32.24.00.22U_4.03.00.21_2
    Kernel version 2.6.38.4-cyanogenmod+root@pershoot-ubuntu # 1
    Mod version CyanogenMod-5.0.6-N1
    Build number EPE54B

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I know with mine,unless I manually re-enter my apn I wont get any network other than the info provided by sim card for simple phone calls,as for the I've never had to use it

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Oops as. For the wifi

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

If you can get these links and put them on phone-great

If you can't mount thru USB, maybe reboot into your recovery-which one was it that is still on phone? Do this by holding down pwr/vol-/trackball at same time. Select recovery and once it boots into recovery select USB Toggle. Thant should get you connected to pc and you can transfer the appropriate roms from the below links. At this point not a bad idea to bu sdcard.

Amon_Ra
    [Script][A2SD]Darktremor 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 [N1] (01/29/2011) - xda-developers

I recommend the 2.2.1 version down the page a ways, but if you stay with Clockwork use the 2.7.5.2 not 3. Or any latest 2. ones. The 3. is flakey. You should be able to get them from Rom Manger if you get up and running

Dark Tremor

[Script][A2SD]Darktremor 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 [N1] (01/29/2011) - xda-developers

Use the latest non beta, this moves apps to sdext if you have one. Recommended to have an ext3/0 swap

CM7 Main XDA thread

[NIGHTLY][ROM] [GRJ22] CyanogenMod 7 for vendor Passion (HTC Nexus One) - xda-developers

Read up on the new rom, the link to the dl is on the op page as well as the latest gapps. They are now on 2.3.4 Gingerbread.

If you get it working you will flash the rom then gapps then Dark tremor. The DT link tells you how to activate it and move apps. You must have an ext3 partition to use it.

You want USB debugging selected on phone and Move apps to internal memory when you have that option available. DT fools the phone into thinking they are there when really on ext.

The gapps is a tiny version since these roms are putting more on system, so you may have to get some things from market, even gmail.

Always flash DT after any CM7 update ie nightlies

Back up what ever you can first--partitioning wipes sd card

Have fun catching up
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Thanks a heap rugman, I'll let you know how I go

Your Welcome,

I know it was a lot of info at once, but a year is along time. I get lost after a few days of not following the threads.

Been rooted and flashing over a year and it still is a learning curve.

Lots of good people here to get you back up to speed.

Gingerbread changed a lot. HBoots, SD EXt sizes and settings, Gapps, etc etc

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

I just flashed CM7 and the phone is working fine now. I was a bit confused about the other two links you gave so I didn't do anything with them for now. What are they? Are they mandatory/recommended/optional?

Cheers

I assume you are talking about the Amon and Drak Tremor links. The links will tell you more than I can--

But, Amon is the other recovery from Rom Manager/Clockwork--I prefer it

Dark Tremor is a program to move apps to sd ext and free up much more internal memory--you need an external ext to use it

Ken

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links