google IO - OEM and Carrier teamup

This is a discussion on google IO - OEM and Carrier teamup within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Was curious what you guys thought of this: Google partners with OEMs and carriers to guarantee timely Android updates -- Engadget Of all the things ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: google IO - OEM and Carrier teamup

google IO - OEM and Carrier teamup

Was curious what you guys thought of this:
    Google partners with OEMs and carriers to guarantee timely Android updates -- Engadget

Of all the things I have heard from google IO this really got my attention. It is a great idea, but how do you think it will play out?

I was also pretty stocked to hear this: Google announces Android Ice Cream Sandwich will merge phone and tablet OSes

Again though, I don't really know what to expect from it
    .:. phoneStats .:.
    .:. Nexus One
    .:. version 2.3.4
    .:. build number GRJ22
    .:. ROOT - Stock Gingerbread img
    .:. Update from Gingerbread 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 and maintain root

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I think both bits of news are of great interest to us. When you consider the average state of the Android art, the Nexus One remains near the top of the heap, which should keep us in the update loop for a while yet to come. Yes, I have an Atrix too, but I see the Nexus as still a very viable piece of hardware for some time yet. And I'm thrilled that they are making this commitment to us all.

The 18 month thing gave me pause, but o realize that our phone probably doesn't play onto that since it is Google's baby. Wouldn't be surprised if the G1 gets a taste of gingerbread somewhere down the line.

As for the ice cream sandwhich. Google had announced that it would be 2.4 and merge honeycomb and gingerbread a while back. I guess they wanted to make it official this tome.

In other news: LG has misinterpreted the Korean translation of "timely updates" with "timely upgrades" as it has no problem release new disposable phones every 6-12 weeks.

I had heard rumors for a while as well about google wanting to merge the phone and tablet os's together. I guess its good that they have finally made it official. hopefully that will help elevate some of the stress on the developers moving forward

Quote Originally Posted by bourne View Post
    I had heard rumors for a while as well about google wanting to merge the phone and tablet os's together. I guess its good that they have finally made it official. hopefully that will help elevate some of the stress on the developers moving forward

The easiest thing manufactures could do is just make their "skin" an app like launcher pro, ADW, etc. That way the core mechanics of the OS aren't effected and seamlessly updated.

Quote Originally Posted by fiercefire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bourne View Post

The easiest thing manufactures could do is just make their "skin" an app like launcher pro, ADW, etc. That way the core mechanics of the OS aren't effected and seamlessly updated.
    Unfortunately. That will Never happen. They feel they need to distinguish themselfs so that people will by their phones. In addition, when a consumer gets "used to" using... let's say, TouchWiz, they feel uncomfortable with anything else once they change and therefor form some sort of loyalty to that manufacturer.

That's the beauty of Nexus. We can pretty much figure out how to navigate just about anybody elses android phone...with the expection of that crappy TouchWiz...lol!

i think manufacturers should provide the option to use their interface (set by default). Or set it back to the default, stock android launcher (vanilla, I think the name is).

Effectively it would be turning things like motoblur, sense, and all the others in just launchers like adw and launcher pro. I don't know if this would help solve the issue of the manufacturers altering android so much that it makes it difficult for developers to support different devices.

Imagine if PCs were run this way. Security issues would be a nightmare...

Manufactures need to find alternatives to a complete overhaul of the OS or they will earn a bad reputation when they aren't able to push these updates in a timely manner. Either that or Google will need to introduce new policy management procedures to maintain their own reputation.

PC's are basically run this way....
    The only difference is that the updates are readily available, most people just don't have the slightest clue how to install them. Being a guy that works on computers for a daily basis this is probably one of the number one things I notice about people's computers. Worked on a guys PC just a few weeks ago that had vista on it that didn't even have service pack 1 installed. took me a day and a half just to bring it up to date stupid slow vista

getting off topic though. I agree that something needs to be done to bring updates down to to these phones in a more timely manor. Phones are becoming more and more like computers and as such need to be treated in the same fashion. Updates shouldn't even be a question, at least I don't think they should be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links