SD Card not reading

This is a discussion on SD Card not reading within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi, So, my phone got run over by a car, cracked the glass, but, otherwise it was ok and worked fine. Those little glass shards ...

Thread: SD Card not reading

SD Card not reading

Hi,
    So, my phone got run over by a car, cracked the glass, but, otherwise it was ok and worked fine. Those little glass shards I kept getting in my fingers were a pain. Plus, I was about to send it in for repair anyway because the power button was failing. So I sent it to HTC for repair.

I sent it in Monday, and got it back today. Only $55, and free shipping. HTC is AWESOME!

But.... when I boot it up, it tells me I have no SD card. It is an AData 16GB Class 6 MicroSD. The Nexus wants to reformat it. My computer reads it fine, so I'm backing it up as we speak so I'm not that upset.

Any thoughts on what's going on? Do I really have to reformat it?
    Pain in the butt, cause I've got over 8 GB of stuff on it.

I am kicking myself cause I might know what's wrong. T-Mobile gave me a Samsung Gravity as a free loaner while my phone was gone (thank you), and, without thinking, I slipped the MicroSD card into the phone. Later on I read that the Gravity uses a proprietary format or something, but it supposedly can't read 16GB cards anyway, and it didn't ask me if I wanted to format it when I put it in, so I don't think anything happened. But it is possible Samsung put something into the boot record that Windows XP is ignoring. Could this be the issue?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Try a different card first...

Ok, got home, tried a 2GB card from my motorola phone. It worked fine.

When I put my 16GB card in, go to settings/storage it says
    Total Storage - Unavailable
    Available Space - Unavailable
    Mount SD card - grayed out
    Erase SD card is available, I've erased the card 3 times. I was hoping I would see the format command light up. I can't figure out how to format it. The Nexus doesn't seem to be able to see it.

When I mounted it in a Windows Vista laptop after I had erased it, it said it couldn't see it and asked if I wanted to format it, but my only choices were FAT and NTFS. I'm assuming that's not necessarily a good idea in this case, since Android is Linux. How do I get the Nexus to be able to format the card?

Did the Samsung mess it up?
    Should I format it as FAT and then maybe the Nexus will be able to see it and I can reformat it again?

Am I screwed?

FAT is perfect. Just reformat with your PC then try it in the phone...

Ads