Nexus One AMOLED or SLCD

This is a discussion on Nexus One AMOLED or SLCD within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hello Everyone, Im wanting to purchase the Nexus One AMOLED version. Is there anyway to tell from the box or some kind of version/serial numbers? ...

Thread: Nexus One AMOLED or SLCD

Exclamation Nexus One AMOLED or SLCD

Hello Everyone,

Im wanting to purchase the Nexus One AMOLED version. Is there anyway to tell from the box or some kind of version/serial numbers? As I do not have two nexus one's to compare with side by side.

Much Appreciated

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Install a terminal emulator and type in "dmesg"
    Scan the results for either "samsung_oled_panel" (AMOLED), or "sony_tft_panel" (SLCD).

Nexus One AMOLED or SLCD

Hi Danger-Rat,

Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering if there was an easier way of identifying it? As I wont be allowed to actually turn on the phone before purchasing it at the shops or online.

Regards

I'm sorry, but the only methods I know involve booting the phone...

DR

If he gets it at a store--is there a way to tell if you take it outside
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

I've heard people claim that you can identify an SLCD in bright sunlight because you can see a criss-cross pattern and small dots on the screen, if you catch the light just right. Problem is, I have an AMOLED, and I can see the same criss-cross pattern and dots.

The AMOLED shows black really well, and is a pain to see in bright sunlight.
    The SLCD blacks aren't as rich, but it should be better in bright sunlight.
    If you don't have two to compare, then you're just guessing.

My thought is, if it's that difficult to tell which screen it is, does it really matter which one you have (unless you'll be using it in bright sunlight, of course)...

That's so funny, I had the same exact question. I recently got my phone back from repair and I wanted to check if they had to replace the screen. Still Amoled

i ordered mine from amazon.com it's unlocked and has a sticker on the box with samsung logo and under it it says: (NEXUS_ONE_PHONE)) so i assume mine is AMOLED

I was looking at this video comparing AMOLED to SLCD:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUF4dLVdFKc"]YouTube - ‪Google Nexus One AMOLED vs SLCD‬‏[/ame]

Above: the AMOLED is on the LEFT, the SLCD is on the RIGHT and the test is going on in a pitch black room.

Now it's not a scientific comparison by any stretch, (please take what I'm saying with a grain of salt) but just going on this video, it looks to me like the SLCD has a much brighter and stronger backlight going on than the AMOLED. You probably wouldn't be able to discern this in the normal course of use during the day so I don't think it's that big a deal. I've gone into a completely dark room and tested my N1 and I'm guessing that I have the AMOLED because my screen looks like the one on the left.

When I first started researching about the N1 I wanted the AMOLED, but I've read reviews about the SLCD and I think at this point I would be happy either way. The AMOLED can actually suffer from screen burn in, which is a potential negative. The SLCD is very sharp and very good quality so be happy with whatever you have and just enjoy your phone. Don't get caught up too much in which screen you get cause in the end you're getting a super duper great phone. I can't wait to see later this year when Google releases the Ice Cream Sandwich Operating System.

The reason any LCD and in this case the SLCD perform better in sunlight is because the crystals are reflecting sunlight. I noticed this with my mytouch after using the N1 amoled. IMO if you take an SLCD out on a sunny day you should be able to see this because you can tell that certain feature on the screen are visible, but not as a result of backlighting.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links