Considering Rooting

This is a discussion on Considering Rooting within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; One last thing, When flashing an update, I had to rename it to update.zip The tutorial tells me to rename it to PASSIMG.ZIP When flashing ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering Rooting

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    One last thing,
    When flashing an update, I had to rename it to update.zip

The tutorial tells me to rename it to PASSIMG.ZIP

When flashing other updates and recoveries, do i have to rename them to something particular?

Ie: step 3/4 do tell what to rename them to

Great questions!

The stock recovery is pre-programmed to be able to install updates to the Operating System (ROM). The stock recovery can only install files officially signed by Google, and named update.zip. These are typically add-ons to the current OS, changing just the bits that have been modified.

The stock bootloader looks for 4 files when it boots. 2 of the files are complete images for the Passion (codename for the Nexus), hence PASSIMG (Passion Image). 1 is in zip format, the other in nbh format. The other 2 files are diagnostic images (PassDiag), again in zip and nbh format. To date, only the PASSIMG.zip files have been available to the general public. The PASSIMG files are a complete system image, containing the entire img files for each partition (recovery, boot, data, system, etc).

Updates are released for specific builds, eg FRG33 to FRG83, because they only contain the parts of the OS necessary to convert from one version to the next. As such, they also preserve the existing data (you don't loose everything when you update).

PASSIMG can mostly be installed over anything, because they wipe everything and install a complete new system.

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    Should i rename the file in step 4 update.zip then? so it doesent wipe everything.

It also tells me to flash CWM, which im assuming is Clock Work Recovery,
    Isent Amonras RA also a recovery, why CWM?

Just read your thread http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...e-windows.html

So titanium backs up apps and data
    and nandroid backs up the actual rom?
    Why would you need to backup a rom if you can flash it again?

Once rooted via oneclick, should I install titanium backup?
    Should i do this before or after I flash a recovery?

(isent a nandroid backup the same/similar to titanium?)

Once again sorry for all the questions.

No worries!

You need the passimg to wipe everything to get you to an earlier, rootable version of Android. The structure of the files is different, so you can't just rename a passimg to update, out vice versa...

CWM is indeed Clockworkmod. ROM Manager only works with CWM, which is why some people recommend it over Amon Ra, but it's just a matter of preference, really. If you go with CWM, use a 2.x version, because 3.x can be problematic...

You're right again. There's little advantage in using a ROM backup (nandroid) over just re-installing the ROM and restoring a Titanium backup. Titanium may not restore everything however, such as widgets, but it is very useful in transferring your apps to a new ROM.

I would recommend installing Titanium and making a backup as soon as you can - you never know when you may need it. Of course, you won't have much to backup until you restore your MyBackup, and you already have that data backup anyway... xD

Nandroid is a system backup, performed via recovery...

Did I get everything?

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    hey there, sorry for reviving this thread again, but iv just started trying, and already stumbled into a problem.

Iv placed PASSIMG.zip ontop my sd card, but cant seem to find it when i boot (power + vol-)

it doesent give me the option to run it :\

When its on the white screen. it scans for three files, i doesent find two, but it finds PASSIMG.zip, checks it then takes me back to the main menu where the only options are:
    Fastboot
    Recovery
    Clear Storage
    Simlock

There must be something wrong with the file then. Common problem is that you have a zip inside a zip, so take another look at the file and make site it's not zipped twice (extract it, and see if there is another zip).

If that doesn't work, you may wasn't to try a different file...

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    There must be something wrong with the file then. Common problem is that you have a zip inside a zip.
    O.o

im a sodding idiot.

Thanks! (why does a site zip a zip file T.T)

its doing it now, where would i be without you danger :P

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    I now have to install CWM,

I downloaded the apk of the net, (not available in my country) installed it, but gave me an error when i clicked flash CWM: An error occured while attempting to run privelaged commads.

Then crashes if i try to run it again, so tried fixing permissions gives me the first error :\

Are you sure you're rooted?

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    Figured it out, had to update the SU app and reboot for it to regocnise, very odd, but rooted on 2.3.4 now

So happy thanks danger!
    I noted everything down, will post so others can see! :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links