External / remote microphone for Nexus One?

This is a discussion on External / remote microphone for Nexus One? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I am considering using my Nexus One to do some documentary style video but I'd like to bring better audio into the experience. I thought ...

Thread: External / remote microphone for Nexus One?

External / remote microphone for Nexus One?

I am considering using my Nexus One to do some documentary style video but I'd like to bring better audio into the experience.

I thought about using USB, Bluetooth and other things but I understand that the Camera app does not take audio input from bluetooth. Does it take audio input from the headset port?

USB audio *into* the phone does not yet seem to be an option, either.

I've been wondering what my options could be.

I did some searching for microphones with 1/8" connectors. A question that comes to mind is - does the Nexus One have a stereo headset input or is it limited to mono?

I found several intriguing and reasonably priced products. Does anyone know if any of these are likely to work?

Olympus ME 52W

Sony ECM-DS30P

Sony ECM 719

Audio Technica ATR 35S <--has a nice long cord & wind screen

Sony ECM T6

Audio-Technica ATR 25

Sony ECM CS10

Thanks for reading. I hope someone can provide some definitive feed back on the questions I asked.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I'd be VERY surprised if the headset output could also be used as an input. Usually, they are one or the other.

It is, however, possible you could write a driver to use the USB input jack to read a microphone input; but, again, I doubt the phone can do that out of the box. Maybe? I dunno much about Linux.

The headset does have a mic input in it (the headset that came with the phone has a mic), but its not stereo...

Danger when you say it's not stereo are you talking about the nexus one or the OEM earphones cause I was pretty sure that the nexus one had stereo output so I just checked and ya I get stereo output.

The mic isn't stereo...

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    The mic isn't stereo...
    Oh ok sorry by bad didn't think of that

Adaptor

There are several adaptors than may work. Search Google with keywords: TRRS, splitter & adapter. Two items that could work if you are using a microphone with an XLR plug are available here and here. Both are advertised as iPhone XLR micrphone and 1/8 inch headphone adapter - 3.5mm TRRS Male to 3.5mm Headphone Jack and 3-pin XLR Microphone Jack, and while it is targeted at iPhones it should work with any mobile that uses a TRRS 3.5mm socket. Not used it myself but thought I'd pass on the info I've so far managed to glean while researching this.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links