USB Car Charger Light Stays On! (car is off)

This is a discussion on USB Car Charger Light Stays On! (car is off) within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I got a USB car charger that sits flush in the power socket in my car. It charges my phone just fine, the problem is ...

Thread: USB Car Charger Light Stays On! (car is off)

USB Car Charger Light Stays On! (car is off)

I got a USB car charger that sits flush in the power socket in my car. It charges my phone just fine, the problem is that the light on the charger stays on forever, even when my car is off! I imagine it's very little power but it still worries me that it's sucking up battery. Is this normal? Also the darn thing is impossible to take out so its so labor intensive i just don't use it

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

That's a function of your cigarette lighter. It must be constantly powered it sounds like. The power draw from the charger when it's not charging should be very little, I would imagine. When you're talking about a battery with 100, 200, ?? amps, the drain would be negligible. No worse than a car alarm...

Just a heads up, I am on my second car charger for my Nexus One...the instructions for both read to not have it plugged into the cig lighter when starting the car. (Two different models of charger)
    My car's power outlets (it doesn't have a cig lighter) are always on and have power. I always unplug mine when not using it to charge my phone.

For years, I have had various cell phone chargers plugged into my cigarette lighters almost permanently and never had a problem of any kind. I have never, however, left a cell phone plugged into one of them unattended.

Quote Originally Posted by India Whiskey Charlie View Post
    For years, I have had various cell phone chargers plugged into my cigarette lighters almost permanently and never had a problem of any kind. I have never, however, left a cell phone plugged into one of them unattended.
    Lucky you, I am one of those direction followers here, it took me YEARS to leave my phone charger plugged into the wall outlet when I wasn't using it.
    Friends of mine and co-workers have had theirs stop working form doing this which is why it took me a long time to do it.
    I couldn't do that in my car though, the power outlet always has power on, I wouldn't want to wake up to a dead car battery.

Quote Originally Posted by N1David View Post
    I couldn't do that in my car though, the power outlet always has power on, I wouldn't want to wake up to a dead car battery.
    Does a cell phone charger draw anything if a cell phone is not plugged into it? I have not experienced any dead batteries from leaving chargers without cell phones plugged permanently into cigarette lighter receptacles.

Does a cell phone charger draw anything if a cell phone is not plugged into it? I have not experienced any dead batteries from leaving chargers without cell phones plugged permanently into cigarette lighter receptacles.
    Yes, the ones I have had do they both have a light on them that lights up as soon as it is plugged in.

Yes, the ones I have had do they both have a light on them that lights up as soon as it is plugged in.
    If it's just the light, I cannot see how a tiny LED would draw enough current to run down a battery. Then again, I'm not informed enough in this field to fully understand the ramifications...

If it's just the light, I cannot see how a tiny LED would draw enough current to run down a battery. Then again, I'm not informed enough in this field to fully understand the ramifications...
    Totally cool, I play by the rules and would rather be safe than sorry.

Totally cool, I play by the rules and would rather be safe than sorry.
    I have seen Motorola chargers with that use the USB lines to determine if there's a phone connected and if not, it disables the charger so the power is dead. I don't think that's common, however.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links