Make Nexus One ONLY a phone (Use abroad)

This is a discussion on Make Nexus One ONLY a phone (Use abroad) within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I am moving abroad and want to turn off all data on my phone and also block text messaging. I only want data to work ...

Thread: Make Nexus One ONLY a phone (Use abroad)

Make Nexus One ONLY a phone (Use abroad)

I am moving abroad and want to turn off all data on my phone and also block text messaging. I only want data to work if i'm on a wifi connection since I don't want to pay the ridiculous fees to have a data plan and I really don't have the need for a texting plan. Is this possible if i just buy a standard sim from the international phone carrier? How can I do this?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Lightbulb

I'm not sure about stock (I've been CM for a long time now). But CM 7.1 RC1 (and many versions before that) has the ability to turn off mobile data.

Settings -> wireless and networks -> mobile network -> data enabled uncheck that. As for SMS just tell people not to send you text messages I guess cause I don't know of any way to disable them.

Just buy a SIM card from the place you travel to - you should be able to get reasonable rates...

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    Just buy a SIM card from the place you travel to - you should be able to get reasonable rates...
    When in France I simply used a French SIM at a fraction of the cost to Roaming on my UK one.

The Nexus 1 even set itself up automatically - no need to put in APN's etc.

I did the same when I traveled to Europe last year. Bought a card, then topped it up as I went along...

So when you guys buy foreign SIM cards, do you enable call forwarding or something on your original line? I'd worry about not getting incoming calls from people that need me.

I just pass the new number on...

I also use Google Voice for voice mail, so when I get voicemail it forwards it to my email address (which I can access with any SIM).

Still waiting patiently for GV up here in the Great White North

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links