Nexus One on T-Mobile

This is a discussion on Nexus One on T-Mobile within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I'm not exactly sure about this, so I figured I'd ask. I have a Nexus One (unlocked version) on T-Mobile. If the merger happens between ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nexus One on T-Mobile

Nexus One on T-Mobile

I'm not exactly sure about this, so I figured I'd ask. I have a Nexus One (unlocked version) on T-Mobile. If the merger happens between AT&T and T-Mobile, my understanding is that my Nexus One will become a paperweight (essentially). Is this true?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Kind of, but not completely.

T-Mo and AT&T use different frequencies for 3G. Essentially, the T-Mo N1 hardware is not compatible with the AT&T 3G network. Everything else will work, including EDGE - just no 3G.

The other factor to consider is that IF the merger goes ahead, AT&T won't just switch off T-Mo's towers over night. They will have to be phased out, and this is likely to take time (anyone's guess how long though, but given the rate at which 4G is being rolled out to smaller cities I would say it isn't going to be quick)...

Ok, I suppose that makes sense. But without 3G, is the N1 even still viable as a phone for web? I mean even now, the N1 is kind of dying out due to the demand of 4G phones. I feel like just taking the 3G away kind of majorly outdates the phone. So, in all reality, it sounds like if this merger does happen, then everyone with an N1 is kinda SOL and will be buying a new phone.

Yes. Us T-Mobile users will be SOL. That's why I'll be jumping ship altogether. It'll be either Verizon, sprint, or virgin mobile for me. I think its actually their plan to run us off. Then they'll have fewer customers thus making at&t look more attractive to more suckers... er... a customers. No offense to you at&t guys, but it sure is expensive.

As the second poster said, I think we're still looking at least a year, probably 2 before it becomes an issue, assuming the deal goes through.

I'm thinking that as part of the consumer protection, the Fed may force AT&T to support the T-Mobile frequencies for even longer.

I think I read even the AT&T spokespeople said that the Tmo phones would still work for at least another 2 years.

I'm imagining that by that time there will be a worthy successor to the N1 (I'm still looking for one).

Is there any reason why AT&T could or would not keep all the 3G frequencies (AT&T and T-Mo) live at all times in the future? After all, T-Mo's 3G frequencies are the same as the rest of the world's.

As technically rational that would be, there are way more AT&T customers than Tmo, and all AT&T customers would need new phones for data. So all those iPhones would be junk not to mention all their other phones that accept data.

So now the question is, why was AT&T different in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    As technically rational that would be, there are way more AT&T customers than Tmo, and all AT&T customers would need new phones for data. So all those iPhones would be junk not to mention all their other phones that accept data.
    I did not suggest to *eliminate* the AT&T data frequencies. Just keep them all, AT&T's and T-Mo's, in effect.

Quote Originally Posted by India Whiskey Charlie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    I did not suggest to *eliminate* the AT&T data frequencies. Just keep them all, AT&T's and T-Mo's, in effect.
    An expert on this subject could give you a better answer, but, basically, the radios in the towers already have to share lines to service all customers being received at the tower. There aren't enough lines available to service all customers on all frequencies.

That's the way I understand it flyingscool.

What gets me is how att can just flat out lie about reception to T-Mobile customers. They claim that T-Mobile customers will have better service, when common sense tells us that combining an overcrowded network (att) with a nearly maxed out network (tmo) will make for one bigger overcrowded network.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links