factory reset with a broken screen

This is a discussion on factory reset with a broken screen within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hey guys, i was unable to find a way to do this online. My problem is that I just sold my broken phone on ebay ...

Thread: factory reset with a broken screen

factory reset with a broken screen

Hey guys,

i was unable to find a way to do this online.

My problem is that I just sold my broken phone on ebay and need a way to restore it to factory settings. The AMOLED screen no longer works so i can't see anything. I really don't want my information left on the phone but don't know how to hard reset when I cannot see the screen.

I know how to do this through the bootloader, and will probably try that later this evening, but am not sure if i will be able to confirm the information is off of it. Is there a way to hard reset through connecting the phone via usb?

The phone is rooted and running MIUI mod. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Is your bootloader unlocked?

Yeah, I'm rooted. I assume that the phone is still doing the same things, I just can't see it.

Thanks for the reply

Rooted, or unlocked bootloader?
    They are not the same, and the easiest way for you to fix is with an unlocked bootloader...

I supposed that i don't know the difference then. I thought you had to unlock the bootloader to root, which is what I thought I had done. Can you describe how I would know if it were unlocked?

You can root by unlocking the bootloader, but it's also possible to root without unlocking the bootloader. If you think you unlocked it, then you probably did...

Assuming you know how to use fastboot, just extract the images from a shipping ROM, and use fastboot to flash system, user data, and data (from memory, so the images may be different). You could also format the same partitions via fastboot...

I have only used the fastboot process i think once or twice. So i'm really not all that familiar with it. I imagine that you probably don't want to write out a step by step process for me, so do you have a link or an idea of what i should search for to figure this out? Thanks

Since you have already used fastboot I suppose the drivers are already set up so I'll skip that part. After that open a command prompt on the computer and navigate to the directory where you have fastboot using cd (change direcotry ex: "cd C:/SDK/SDK/tools") then connect the phone via usb and input the command "fastboot devices" then if you get the S/N number of your phone on screen that means you have a fastboot connection. If you do then issue these commands:

fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase cache

Then your done.

Ads