N1 bought from google. What's diff then T-Mobile

This is a discussion on N1 bought from google. What's diff then T-Mobile within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I had the G1. Moding that was a breeze. So the N1 comes out and I was told to buy it from google not tmobile. ...

Thread: N1 bought from google. What's diff then T-Mobile

Question N1 bought from google. What's diff then T-Mobile

I had the G1. Moding that was a breeze. So the N1 comes out and I was told to buy it from google not tmobile. I found no reason untill now to even try to root it. It has 2.3.4 now. I have tried a couple different ways to get root. Like I said I'm old school. Don't really get if you unlock bootloader no need to root. Also why was I told to buy the phone from google? Any help for an old noob??

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

There's no real difference between the Google and T-Mobile versions, AFAIK...

Regarding the bootloader; its just the way the phone was designed, and the way Android is designed. There are three bootable partitions, bootloader, recovery, and the ROM. Due to security you can't usually modify any of these, though traditional routing methods work on finding a weakness in the security and exploiting it. Google recognized that developers wanted to modify their phones, so they provided a method to do so. Unlock the bootloader and you can use it to replace the either of the other two partitions (and non bootable partitions, also).

Since traditional methods work on weakness in the security, they don't stay around long as those weaknesses are patched up. The bootloader method is the intended way to root the N1...

Unlock the bootloader it is.. Thanks!! One last thing. Whats the diff between S-on and S-off and is that something I need to worry about?

Don't worry about it. That's what other phones have that is equivalent to unlocking the bootloader. On the N1, S-off requires buying extra hardware and gives you the ability to re-lock the bootloader (which isn't possible normally).

There was no "T-Mobile" version. All N1's were originally sold by Google. They did come with different configurations for various vendors, i.e. T-Mobile, AT&T, and other international vendors I'm not familiar with, but they were all sold by Google.

Google's line on why they did it this way was to get the phone market to be carrier independent. But that idea flopped for a number of reasons.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links