Thinking about porting number to GV. Any downsides?

This is a discussion on Thinking about porting number to GV. Any downsides? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I'm on the t-mobile network in the US and I'm thinking about porting my number to GV. I'm using GV only for voicemail at the ...

Thread: Thinking about porting number to GV. Any downsides?

Thinking about porting number to GV. Any downsides?

I'm on the t-mobile network in the US and I'm thinking about porting my number to GV. I'm using GV only for voicemail at the moment (not using it for any phone conversations or for texting) and I'm particularly wondering if there are any reliability issues (i.e. dropped calls or delay in receiving text messages).

Would love to hear any feedback.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I've been using gv for a couple of years now. There are some interesting issues with gv.
    1. You can't use sms short codes so paypal mobile, your bank and all those short codes on tv, won't work.
    2. No mms messages. So if someone sends you a MMS message thinking that they are texting your cell, you won't receive it, and they won't get a delivery error. It goes to never never land.
    3. Occasionally, you will find a phone number that gv won't let you dial. Usually these are phone numbers like the ones at freeconferencecall<dot>com. You also can't put in conference call short hand. For instance with both android & blackberry, you can save pauses and other info on a number and dial it all at once. Example: +12025551212,,12345# will dial 1-202-555-1212 wait a few seconds then dial 12345#. This can't be done with gv. You'll get an error.
    4. Very rarely, you will find that gv will drop your call. I find this usually happens when I'm connected to both 3G & wifi at the same time. I think somehow, it gets confused.
    5. Lately, I've noticed my gv text messages have been delayed or my phone won't sync. If I turn on airplane mode then turn it off, everything comes back in a rush.

Other than these few issues, GV has been a godsend. I love having the ability to recall text messages from long ago, the voicemail transcription and the ability to point it to any phone. I also love being able to make & take phone calls in Gmail chat when I'm at my computer. In fact, if I have gmail chat running, I can see the incoming call *before* my cell phone starts ringing. Its great! If you can live with all that, by all means, port your number.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links