Google's Hype Generator, The Nexus One, Does Not Have Multitouch (In Browser and Maps

This is a discussion on Google's Hype Generator, The Nexus One, Does Not Have Multitouch (In Browser and Maps within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Another personal encounter with the Nexus One is recorded in history forever, and while Tnkgrl wasn't allowed to exercise her camera finger, she's written on ...

Thread: Google's Hype Generator, The Nexus One, Does Not Have Multitouch (In Browser and Maps

JimMariner

Google's Hype Generator, The Nexus One, Does Not Have Multitouch (In Browser and Maps

Another personal encounter with the Nexus One is recorded in history forever, and while Tnkgrl wasn't allowed to exercise her camera finger, she's written on her blog that it's "extremely thin," but more importantly, there's a severe lack of multitouch...UPDATE

While she concedes that it's "much nicer looking in person," the lack of multitouch in the browser and Maps is a bummer. Here's what she noticed when having a fondle with the Nexus One:

- It's much nicer looking in person than in pictures
    - There's a 4 GB micro-SD card installed
    - The battery capacity is 1400 mAh
    - The screen appears to be OLED (same size/resolution as the Motorola Droid)
    - 3G works on T-Mobile USA
    - I can confirm that there's no 3G on AT&T (EGDE only)
    - It's definitely unlocked
    - It's super snappy! Faster than the Droid…
    - There's no multitouch support in the browser or in Google Maps
    - There's no dedicated camera key, but it's the same camera interface as the Droid
    - The trackball can be used to focus (like on other HTC devices)
    - Low-light performance is decent, but the flash is weak
    - Calls are routed the normal way, not using data (VoIP), and sound fine
    - The home screen is divided into 5 panes (like the Sense interface on the HTC Hero)
    - It's using a micro-USB connector for data/power
    - There are some gold contacts at the bottom edge, for a dock perhaps?
    - Did I mention it's fast?

The lack of a camera button disturbs me, but other than that, it sounds like a fairly ho-hum Android phone. [Tnkgrl via Engadget]

UPDATE: Alright commenters, you have your wish. Tnkgrl only said there's no multitouch support "in the browser or in Google Maps," which still doesn't eliminate the option of multitouch in other areas of the phone. And of course, it's still just early days yet—there's no reason to believe that Tnkgrl got her hands on a final production unit.

the author of this
    Kat Hannaford
    khannaford@gizmodo.com.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

JimMariner
    Google's Nexus One lacks multitouch
    By Thomas Ricker
    posted Dec 18th 2009 4:19AM
    Engadget

Our buddy Tnkgrl just had a sit down with Google and HTC's lovedroid, the Nexus One. She "wasn't allowed" to take pictures or video but she came away with plenty of detail. The biggest point of clarification might not be what's included in the handset, but what's missing: multitouch. She confirms, "no multitouch support in the browser or in Google Maps," just like Verizon's Droid (but available on its European Milestone brother). The unit she tested included a 4GB microSD card, 1400mAh battery, worked on T-Mobile's 3G only (AT&T is limited to EDGE data), and was "super snappy! Faster than the Droid." She also noted "gold contacts" along the bottom edge presumably for a docking port thus jibing with whispers of a Nexus One Car Dock accessory. Now hit the read link for all the details if you still have the strength.

P.S. We should probably clarify that while the Google Apps tested don't respond to multitouch, the OS and hardware are presumably multitouch capable. See our previous exhaustive analysis of this topic if you're wondering why.

Source: tnkgrl mobile

I have an N1 bought in the USA and I use multitouch gestures in the Dolphin browser, which is one of the best designed browsers I've used.

Quote Originally Posted by davidalow44 View Post
    I have an N1 bought in the USA and I use multitouch gestures in the Dolphin browser, which is one of the best designed browsers I've used.

They need to just enable multi-touch in the keypad area and then do something different with the browser and google maps like a swivle of the finger in a circular motion to zoom in or something.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links