Just had a hands on with a Nexus One

This is a discussion on Just had a hands on with a Nexus One within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; But I'm at work, so I can't tell ya much until I get home STAY TUNED...MORE COMING TONIGHT!...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just had a hands on with a Nexus One

Just had a hands on with a Nexus One

But I'm at work, so I can't tell ya much until I get home
    STAY TUNED...MORE COMING TONIGHT!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

:eek:

hurry o.o

Wow, can't wait to get the scoop...
    (T-Mobile USA) HTC Nexus One Unlocked

Admin
    Nice, hope you got some good pictures!

He should be home by now!!!
    Current Phone: Unlocked iPhone

Yeah, I'm home now. And I have to start this all over again, cuz what I'd written got lost before I was done....stay tuned and I'll write it all again...damn, damn, damn!

4Nines
    Can't wait!!

Ok here goes again.

First thing: The only thing he asked me NOT to do was to take any pics...so I don't have anything new there.

Also, bear in mind that I was at work, and that this guy is one of my customers; so I couldn't get into the kind of detailed QandA session that I would have liked to. That said, here's what I can tell you of my encounter.

First, the physical phone. It feels nice. It's very close to my iPhone in size and shape, but the back of the phone has a very nice, rubbery, grippy surface. Those of you with DirecTV know the feel; it's the same kind of surface that the back of a DirecTV remote has. Smooth, yet grippy, and very comfortable.

Second, the screen. Amazing! It is so sharp and detailed that the icons can be smaller than the iPhones, and still be completely readable! My customer had the 'water' wallpaper mounted, and sure enough, when you touch the screen, the water ripples, and the leaves on the water ripple with it! You can even see the veins in those leaves in remarkable detail.

Third, responsiveness: FAST. QUICK. SNAPPY. Did I say FAST?
    When you touch an icon to open an app or a menu item, it's open before you can lift your finger from the screen! Scrolling is instantaneous, and I really liked the vertical scrolls as opposed to the horizontal of the iPhone.

Next, I verified that the Nexus will ship with Android 2.1, NOT 2.0.
    It was at this point that I found out that my customer doesn't have a SIM card in his Nexus. His Droid is his primary phone, and he's happy with it. He did sync the Nexus with his Droid, so there were a bunch of apps on the Nexus that wouldn't run without a SIM installed...so I didn't get to test any calls, or any of the mapping apps, nor any internet connectivity (even though I installed wifi at work, and it was available). This was my only real disappointment with my hands-on. OTOH, since he admitted that he's kinda jaded by all the Android phones that he's had and used as an employee of Google, that the Nexus wasn't much more than a curiosity and a showpiece for him. (I'm thinkin that maybe I can talk him out of it once the release is actually out there...I'll have to work on that! :D)

Lessee, what else...? The camera is excellent. Razor sharp with great contrast and color accuracy. The zoom (2x) is activated with a double tap on the screen, and doesn't seem to degrade image quality at all. And the video capability is something that did impress him enough for him to mention. I also wasnt able to check out the flash due to time constraints.

Oh, and the trackball. I liked it...it was really well calibrated and responded smoothly and with a seemingly perfect ratio of ball movement to screen movement. BUT...it almost seems superfluous. The touchscreen is so responsive and instinctive that for what I tried, the trackball was more of an option than a necessity. There may be some apps or functions that require its' use, but I didn't find any in the time I had with it. But it is a nice, natural, and well executed option to the screen interface.

He did say that the 'UPC' image on the back is unique to each phone...one of the reasons he wouldn't allow pics...they could track it to him, and he'd be in deep poop! :D

Anyway, the thing that stuck with me, and was my overwhelming impression was the speed of this thing. It made my iPhone 3Gs seem like my old WM6.0 turd! Posting the OP of this thread seemed to take forever, and I did it within minutes of handling the Nexus!

Now, for what I don't know. I still don't know anything new about pricing, channels of availabilty or services. I asked him about the VOiP capabilities that were so heavily rumored, and all he could tell me was "Well, if you look at all the acquisitions that Google has made in the last year....let's just say we have options there". Encouraging, but not really solid info. Actually, now that I think about it, he seemed surprised that I knew as much about the supposed pricing structure as I did...it all seemed new to him. In other words, not confirmed or denied

He confirmed that the conference on the 5th is indeed for this phone, and assured me that the rest of our questions will be answered then.

In the meantime, this IS a remarkable phone. If there's any way I can swing it, I want one.

Any questions?

Did you type anything. My biggest complaint is the accuracy of the touch screen the iPhone is so perfect I have been very disappointed with all the Android Phones. That was the main reason I kept going back to the iPhone.
    Current Phone: Unlocked iPhone

Yeah, I did try some really quick, simple stuff. Didn't get to push the spell checker, but it seemed easier to operate than the iPhone does. Like I said, it seemed to take forever to post the first post in this thread, compared to typing on the Nexus.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links