HSDPA Question?

This is a discussion on HSDPA Question? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I've read that the N1 doesn't support AT&T's 3G, but does support T-Mobiles 3G, and will support AT&T's EDGE network. There is nothing stating that ...

Thread: HSDPA Question?

HSDPA Question?

I've read that the N1 doesn't support AT&T's 3G, but does support T-Mobiles 3G, and will support AT&T's EDGE network. There is nothing stating that it doesn't support AT&T's HSDPA network though. Has anybody heard any news that the N1 won't support HSDPA on AT&T?

I currently have a HTC Tilt with AT&T and majority of the time I'm running on their HSDPA network with amazing speeds.

Also why would Google setup their phone this way, unless they really only want people signing up with T-Mobile.

Also if the N1 doesn't support AT&T's HSDPA network, then what would be even the point of buying the unlocked phone, if your really forced to signup with T-Mobile anyways, unless you want crappy data connection with AT&T's EDGE?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

One reason to buy it unlocked is Only ONE plan is available with the discount. If you have a family plan or any other plan other than the 79.99 N1 plan you are not eligible for the subsidized rate.

AT&T's UMTS Network runs on the 1900mhz band.

The N1 will run only on UMTS 1700 and 2100.
    Current Phone: Unlocked iPhone

Cincinnati Bell has the CHEAPEST plans and uses the same 1700/2100mhz band. Not to mention, they have NO PHONES running on their 3g network because they don't sell any yet...so you get tons of speed and it never gets slowed down / drops calls like AT&T in NYC. I feel special to live in Cincinnati

Sorry that was really off-topic. But anyway to answer the first question, AT&T 3g is the same as AT&T HSDPA. HSDPA = 3G. Basically interchangeable. So yeah, this phone only works on AT&T 2G (EDGE) and T-MOBILE 3G and 2G.

Well thank you for the replies, though the thing that is really bothering me about this, when I first read about this phone, I read that it's mainly going to be a VOIP phone, so all one would need is a Data Plan. Of course this is still all up as speculation, and nothing is confirmed. So would VOIP work on the EDGE? Just don't know how many kb/s one needs for VOIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
    Well thank you for the replies, though the thing that is really bothering me about this, when I first read about this phone, I read that it's mainly going to be a VOIP phone, so all one would need is a Data Plan. Of course this is still all up as speculation, and nothing is confirmed. So would VOIP work on the EDGE? Just don't know how many kb/s one needs for VOIP.
    I don't think VoIP will work on Edge. I can't confirm this, but I would assume that it would be VERY choppy and most likely drop calls frequently.

VoIP is best suited for Wifi it seems, because it uses high amounts of data transfer. If you were to use VoIP on the phone plans data package, it could alert your phone company to it, and apparently phone companies are cracking down on high data users?
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Voip would not work well on edge its just not consistent enough. As far as having a data only package are there any plans out there that offer data only with no voice?
    Current Phone: Unlocked iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by cherwinski View Post

Voip would not work well on edge its just not consistent enough. As far as having a data only package are there any plans out there that offer data only with no voice?
    From what I read on the article, it stated there was data only plans, that you could purchase from both AT&T and T-Mobile on monthly plans without a contract for like $30.00 per month, but now looking at both AT&T's and T-Mobile's websites, Edit: looking at AT&T website I found nothing of the sort, but when I checked out T-Mobiles website I found that you can get unlimited Mobile Internet for $39.00 per month. I've read their disclaimer, and it states nothing about not being able to use a VOIP service to make voice calls. Though the web page itself contradicts itself, stating that voice calls will cost $0.45 per min, but later states your voice calls will only cost you $0.20 per min. Either way, you're not buying into a voice calling contract, just a mobile internet contract with the option to make voice calls.

T-Mobile Total Internet Package

Now I see it worth paying the full price for an unlocked phone, as I rarely use a phone to talk on, and unlimited internet would give me access to the internet and email, and if I do want to talk, I can use the VOIP either on the road or at home using my home network or if I'm on the road with crappy internet connection, I still have the option to pay per min, which for me $0.45 is cheap compared to what I'm paying atm for all the mins I'm not using on my current plan.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links