Nexus One: Bad news for international users

This is a discussion on Nexus One: Bad news for international users within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; There have been leaks around pricing of the Nexus One ó screenshots from the site where you will purchase the phone appears that itís going ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Nexus One: Bad news for international users

  1. #1
    Member crascott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    60

    Nexus One: Bad news for international users

    There have been leaks around pricing of the Nexus One ó screenshots from the site where you will purchase the phone appears that itís going to retail for $529 US unlocked, or $179 US with a plan through T-Mobile.

    If youíre outside the US though, that $529 turns into ($529 * your exchange rate) plus some pretty crazy taxes and duties if you want to even get it into your country.

    Since a plan through T-Mobile isnít an option for international customers, you have no choice but to pay through the nose. Hereís is what it will likely cost you extra to get a Nexus One into these countries:

    Australia - $103
    Austria - $168
    Brazil - $209
    Canada - $82
    Czech Republic - $199
    Estonia - $190
    Finland - $160
    France - $156
    Germany - $152
    Hungary - $192
    India - $106
    Italy - $148
    Japan - $72
    Mexico - $115
    Netherlands - $150
    New Zealand - $150
    Northern Ireland - $123
    Norway - $184
    Poland - $196
    Singapore - $154
    South Africa - $185
    Spain - $142
    Sweden - $218
    Switzerland - $104
    Taiwan - $70
    United Kingdom - $132

    Source: Nexus One: Bad news for international users | Googling Google | ZDNet.com

  2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

  3. #2
    Member Steve_nexusone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    48
    That bumps the price up quite a bit for me. I was happy to pay the GBP equivilent of $529 but if it is shipped into the UK, Import Duty, Sales Tax etc make it a little to pricey for me. It brings it into the price bracket of the iPhone and Nokia N97 that I am unwilling to pay.

  4. #3
    Android Jr Member mth04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    That bumps the price up quite a bit for me. I was happy to pay the GBP equivilent of $529 but if it is shipped into the UK, Import Duty, Sales Tax etc make it a little to pricey for me. It brings it into the price bracket of the iPhone and Nokia N97 that I am unwilling to pay.

    Nah I would buy it here locally and ship it to you there. f that. That's why they invented Pay Pal

  5. #4
    Senior Member NeonMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    713
    Yes. Thats ridiculous!

    I hate custom charges, and so forth.

    The best way of getting around those, is by having someone in the US buy them, then mark the price down on the shipping. Which of course is risky, but paying 150+++ just to GET the item once its paid for is obscene.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera


  6. #5
    Member crascott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    60
    Yeah, it will be pricey.
    I was planning on buying an unlocked HTC Hero with my tax check. It would have costed me about 520 USD unlocked at current prices. Assuming that the only tariff would be the Danish VAT @ 25%, I'm still looking at a price that I'm willing to pay for a better phone.

    But then again, everything is speculation until Tuesday ...

  7. #6
    Junior Member jeezus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    14

    Smile

    Ill be happy to fork out the needed euros for Nexus One, even if it would be 530 + 160 $ = 700 Ä. All the other phones are also as expensive if not more so in Finland. Anyway always cheaper to buy the phone unlocked then attached to a carrier.

  8. #7
    Member Steve_nexusone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami1683 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    That bumps the price up quite a bit for me. I was happy to pay the GBP equivilent of $529 but if it is shipped into the UK, Import Duty, Sales Tax etc make it a little to pricey for me. It brings it into the price bracket of the iPhone and Nokia N97 that I am unwilling to pay.

    Nah I would buy it here locally and ship it to you there. f that. That's why they invented Pay Pal
    Cheers. UK Customs are still picky and even if marked down, they'de probably question it as they did some electronics I imported from the US last year. Gits stung me for Sales Tax, Duty which the Carrier happily paid for me, then invoice me more for the service, double whammy

    The other concern I'd have would be the warranty. I know other Mobile Manufactures such as Nokia \ LG have a limited warranty. Nokia's being Europe & Middle East, then Asia and the America's. So before I'd import anything I'd want to make sure it was a Global warranty as opposed to a restricted continent one.

  9. #8
    Junior Member Eggi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    That bumps the price up quite a bit for me. I was happy to pay the GBP equivilent of $529 but if it is shipped into the UK, Import Duty, Sales Tax etc make it a little to pricey for me. It brings it into the price bracket of the iPhone and Nokia N97 that I am unwilling to pay.
    Import duty is 0% in the EU for PDAs/mobiles.
    So there is only sales tax left which is for example 19% in germany.

    530 * 1,19 ~= 631
    530 + 152 = 682 - 631 = 51 ... probably the shipping cost, which seems a bit high for standard shipping (maybe an express option?).

  10. #9
    Member Steve_nexusone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggi View Post

    Import duty is 0% in the EU for PDAs/mobiles.
    So there is only sales tax left which is for example 19% in germany.

    530 * 1,19 ~= 631
    530 + 152 = 682 - 631 = 51 ... probably the shipping cost, which seems a bit high for standard shipping (maybe an express option?).
    Going on that and using the Caculator here and some cheap shipping costs, its saying £51 in Sales Tax. Thats using the Tax at 15%, it went up to 17.5% Jan 1st, so a few pounds more. Still more than what I was expecting.

    Another thread shows the T&C's stating that the warranty if shipped from the US to the EU comes with a 2 year warranty. As opposed to the 1 Year in the States.

    Still more than I'd want to fork out.

    I have a feeling that if distributers are assigned in the UK, they'd add a premium anyway.

  11. #10
    Member crascott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The other concern I'd have would be the warranty. I know other Mobile Manufactures such as Nokia \ LG have a limited warranty. Nokia's being Europe & Middle East, then Asia and the America's. So before I'd import anything I'd want to make sure it was a Global warranty as opposed to a restricted continent one.
    If there is any validity to the alleged leaked TOS, then EU residents will be covered by a 2-year warranty for parts, labor and service.

    See attached for the Warranties clause.
    The whole TOS document can be found here:
    http://podcasts.aolcdn.com/engadget/...ms_of_Sale.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 05:53 PM
  2. Two New LTE Device In Verizon Detabase (HTC & Samsung)
    By danDroid in forum Android News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 05:53 PM
  3. My new fone
    By DF Member in forum HTC Desire
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Android Forum