Push Email with Android OS

This is a discussion on Push Email with Android OS within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by Admin Originally Posted by inque I would like to apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong area. I would just ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Push Email with Android OS

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by inque View Post
    I would like to apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong area. I would just like to ask a question on the Android os as a whole since I have never had any experience with it.

My question is: How is the Push Email system with Gmail / Google Apps Mail with the Android? Is it true push email, meaning, if theres a new mail in your inbox, the phone will automatically connect via 3g / gprs and you will get notified right away? Ala RIM's BlackBerry.

Or will it just do a periodic synchronization on a preset time (like every 30 mins or so), just like Nokia Messaging services?

I hoping it would be like the BlackBerry though. Hoping any Android users here could shed some light on this.
    I utilize Gmail and Hosted Gmail (ie, Gmail Pro) accounts and both are true push email. So to answer your question yes, the Android OS supports true push.
    Do you notice any different in speed between the regular gmail vs. gmail pro? In other words if I send the same email addressing to both your gmail and to your gmail pro, which account will receive the email first?

Push email

I am new to Android and am looking at purchasing an Android smartphone. However, I intend to use it internationally and want to manage my data download when accessing my emails (when not near wifi hotspots).

Is there a way to manage the emails so that it does not download the entire email (esp if big size)? Perhaps show only titles and sender?

Is there an Android app that will do that? I could not see any functoinality in Google synch for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    I've only tested it with Gmail... what you could do is setup your email to forward to Gmail. Keep in mind, you can set your "email address" to whatever you want in Gmail, so even if your using a Yahoo account, you can make your Gmail account look like your sending mail from your Yahoo account (or whatever) very easily without having to do anything out of the ordinary.
    This will work if you pay the $19.99 / year subscription fee to yahoo. If you have a free account the mail forwarding options are not available to you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links