Push Email with Android OS

This is a discussion on Push Email with Android OS within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I would like to apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong area. I would just like to ask a question on the Android ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push Email with Android OS

Push Email with Android OS

I would like to apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong area. I would just like to ask a question on the Android os as a whole since I have never had any experience with it.

My question is: How is the Push Email system with Gmail / Google Apps Mail with the Android? Is it true push email, meaning, if theres a new mail in your inbox, the phone will automatically connect via 3g / gprs and you will get notified right away? Ala RIM's BlackBerry.

Or will it just do a periodic synchronization on a preset time (like every 30 mins or so), just like Nokia Messaging services?

I hoping it would be like the BlackBerry though. Hoping any Android users here could shed some light on this.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by inque View Post
    I would like to apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong area. I would just like to ask a question on the Android os as a whole since I have never had any experience with it.

My question is: How is the Push Email system with Gmail / Google Apps Mail with the Android? Is it true push email, meaning, if theres a new mail in your inbox, the phone will automatically connect via 3g / gprs and you will get notified right away? Ala RIM's BlackBerry.

Or will it just do a periodic synchronization on a preset time (like every 30 mins or so), just like Nokia Messaging services?

I hoping it would be like the BlackBerry though. Hoping any Android users here could shed some light on this.
    I utilize Gmail and Hosted Gmail (ie, Gmail Pro) accounts and both are true push email. So to answer your question yes, the Android OS supports true push.

So push email is only for Gmail / Gmail hosted inboxes only?

Is the push email notification very fast also?

Quote Originally Posted by inque View Post
    So push email is only for Gmail / Gmail hosted inboxes only?

Is the push email notification very fast also?

I'm wondering this also! I had push email connected with my Yahoo mail, but I don't think it worked often.

I think I need to transfer over to using gmail!!
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Admin
    I've only tested it with Gmail... what you could do is setup your email to forward to Gmail. Keep in mind, you can set your "email address" to whatever you want in Gmail, so even if your using a Yahoo account, you can make your Gmail account look like your sending mail from your Yahoo account (or whatever) very easily without having to do anything out of the ordinary.

I like Gmail's filtering and anti-spam better then anything I've seen, so I forward about 6 different email accounts to 2 gmail accounts and work from there. None of my customers are the wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    I've only tested it with Gmail... what you could do is setup your email to forward to Gmail. Keep in mind, you can set your "email address" to whatever you want in Gmail, so even if your using a Yahoo account, you can make your Gmail account look like your sending mail from your Yahoo account (or whatever) very easily without having to do anything out of the ordinary.

I like Gmail's filtering and anti-spam better then anything I've seen, so I forward about 6 different email accounts to 2 gmail accounts and work from there. None of my customers are the wiser.
    A big ten four on the anti-spam properties of the big G. Coming from Hotmail, that was an absolute godsend.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the allure, for me at least, of the Android platform and this phone in particular, is that it will work so well for me being such a Google heavy user. Pretty much all my information - Contacts, email, calendar appointments, documents - is handled on Google's system and will integrate flawlessly with this phone should I get it. I find this both decidedly convenient and slightly unsettling.

Quote Originally Posted by jrl022 View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I realize that the allure, for me at least, of the Android platform and this phone in particular, is that it will work so well for me being such a Google heavy user. Pretty much all my information - Contacts, email, calendar appointments, documents - is handled on Google's system and will integrate flawlessly with this phone should I get it. I find this both decidedly convenient and slightly unsettling.
    That's also the exact same reason I'm heading towards the Android Platform. Coming from Symbian, which always gets short-changed when it comes to Google Mobile sync (I don't blame them though), I rely heavily on Google Apps for both work and my personal life. So far so good, the integration has been good to me.

I don't know if Gmail can be called a push-technology. When using Gmail on a cell phone, you are actually online and working from within the cloud, where Google would like you to be. There is an off-line function where your post can be saved locally, but I'm not sure if it works on cell phones. I believe that the Nexus One requires a Google account to function.

I've used Gmail back when it was at the invite-only level and will never go back to Hotmail or POP/IMAP clients. The site is text-based which means faster loading. The commercial links are minimal. The spam filter just works. There is no need to keep deleting old posts and there is no need for folders. You can just search them as you would with any Google search. Very effective.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by crascott View Post
    I don't know if Gmail can be called a push-technology. When using Gmail on a cell phone, you are actually online and working from within the cloud, where Google would like you to be. There is an off-line function where your post can be saved locally, but I'm not sure if it works on cell phones. I believe that the Nexus One requires a Google account to function.

I've used Gmail back when it was at the invite-only level and will never go back to Hotmail or POP/IMAP clients. The site is text-based which means faster loading. The commercial links are minimal. The spam filter just works. There is no need to keep deleting old posts and there is no need for folders. You can just search them as you would with any Google search. Very effective.
    While you can access the web version of the site (both the full and mobile version) the email client on the Android is in fact push technology and can be accessed offline, similar to the Blackberry system.

I am sure Nexus one will work with Google Sync.

Push email. Gmail on Android shows new messages in your inbox as they arrive - without having to refresh or 'check mail.'
    Notifications. Get notified on the status bar whenever a new email arrives, so you never miss an important message.

Google Sync
    Google Sync on your mobile phone

Gmail for mobile Android
    Gmail on your mobile phone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links