Google might not be wanting to sell the Nexus One?

This is a discussion on Google might not be wanting to sell the Nexus One? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; When it comes to the new Nexus One phone from Google (GOOG) and made by HTC, a few things seem awry. Not the phone itself, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google might not be wanting to sell the Nexus One?

Google might not be wanting to sell the Nexus One?

When it comes to the new Nexus One phone from Google (GOOG) and made by HTC, a few things seem awry. Not the phone itself, which, according to Engadgetís review of an advance unit, is good, although not ďthe be-all-end-all Android phone/iPhone eviscerator.Ē No, the way that Google is going about introducing and selling it. And those things add up to suggest that maybe Googleís main aim is not to sell the Nexus.

Consider the factors in play at the moment:

Introduction Date ó Although this is the time of year for CES, where many companies announce upcoming new products, many of the announcements are not for products on the verge of shipping, but for those that are still scheduled a few months off. Why? Because weíve just come through the holiday season, and given that people have been spending their discretionary funds, this is not a traditionally strong time of year to introduce new devices. Yet, Google handed units out to its employees and now Engadgetís got one, so this isnít something waiting on future production, and signs are that the announcement comes tomorrow.
    Price ó There was speculation aplenty about whether Google would use ads or its own cash flow to subsidize the phone and get people going for it in large numbers. But information leaked to Gizmodo suggested that the company would take a conventional approach to pricing, with an unlocked and unsubsidized unit running over $500 and the one subsidized through T-Mobile about $180. Thatís no price to get people to make the decision to move to an Android device as being too good a deal to pass.
    Business Partners ó Google has its own reasons for giving away Android, called getting people locked into its mobile ad platform, because thatís where its future growth lies. But for such a well-branded company to sell its own version of a phone based on its OS is almost like Microsoft selling a PC. Itís the sort of activity that makes equipment manufacturing business partners distrustful and resentful.
    When you look at the first two factors, itís as though Google was going out of its way to not maximize the number of units it could sell. And then that got me thinking about the automobile industry. Not that Google is a General Motors or Chrysler, but there is the accustomed practice of creating concept vehicles, which are meant to show off what the manufacturer can do and grab public attention. The more I think about it, the more thatís what the Nexus One seems to be, only a concept in actual production rather than a single demonstration unit. Perhaps whatís really going on is that Google wants to push what its business partners are doing and to create enough buzz about the phone to get more people to adopt its platform. That would also explain why there havenít been more stories of behind-doors grumbling by the handset vendors ó because Google would have told them that it wants to drive consumer adoption and OEM innovation, not that it really wants to be in the handset business.

Source: Google Might Not Want To Sell Nexus One | BNET Technology Blog | BNET

:suicide::killerkenny: :hang3:

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Lolol.. what?
    Follow me on Twitter @xPatriick
    Feel free to buy me a beer if I helped you
    This is what I use on my Nexus One (ROM, Kernel, special Apps)

Lolol.. what?

Yeah, what I thought ... at first.

But man, that post took a while to get a reply - 40 minutes!!!
    I guess the article touches a nerve with us and represents our biggest nightmare.

But really, what if ...?

Has Google shown us a prototype to show what an Android could be and put it teasingly back in it's pocket?
    Dunno, really. I think that would leave a lot of PO'd people in its wake, given the internet buzz that there has been about the phone.

I just know that tomorrow will be one of the longest days for me while waiting for news of the Android press event.

In the end, I truly hope the article can be filed under ....

:bsflag:

They already produced (?) thousands phones.. why should they not sell it now
    Follow me on Twitter @xPatriick
    Feel free to buy me a beer if I helped you
    This is what I use on my Nexus One (ROM, Kernel, special Apps)

I've expressed concerns about the potential for pissing off their "partners" and carriers. But I really have no idea how it'll all play out. So I'll wait for tomorrow....

Admin
    As long as they don't undercut the competition I don't think the competition will be mad. It's still an open and free platform, it's not like they are SELLING it to other hardware manufacturers... they are giving it away.

For them to complain that Google can't sell a phone as well off the free platform they are building and giving away seems kinda childish

And yet, look at the lawsuit war being waged between Nokia and Apple. Or the one between AT&T and Verizon, for that matter. Childish is all to common in corporate America.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    And yet, look at the lawsuit war being waged between Nokia and Apple. Or the one between AT&T and Verizon, for that matter. Childish is all to common in corporate America.
    True, it won't stop but that doesn't make it right

No worries, mates. Check out this from TmoNews:

Nexus One Support Page Is Live, Except Itís Down Already | TmoNews - Unofficial T-Mobile Blog - News, Videos, Articles and more

Support site has been taken for a little test drive!!!

I'll kill someone if they don't put it up for sale tomorrow!

I slept all afternoon, so I'll be able to stay up all night in wait for the sale page going up tomorrow morning!
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links