Google's explanation of online shopping seemed weak

This is a discussion on Google's explanation of online shopping seemed weak within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Here's my two cents: First, it seemed really odd that Google would describe ordering a phone online as something innovative. This has been happening for ...

Thread: Google's explanation of online shopping seemed weak

Google's explanation of online shopping seemed weak

Here's my two cents:

First, it seemed really odd that Google would describe ordering a phone online as something innovative.

This has been happening for well over five years now. I haven't bought a phone in a retail store unless I had to go there on launch day.

So certainly Google doesn't think the mere fact of selling phones online is new and exciting.

Because it's not.

Instead I'm assuming that:

a. Google wanted to have all USA carriers lined up at launch
    b. They got significant push back
    c. Therefore they could only grab T-Mobile (arguably the weakest in USA)

Sure down the road they'll add Verizon -- but in the back of my mind what Google wanted to announce today was ALL carriers being available on their site.

Second, Interesting that there were no carriers on hand to talk about how great an opportunity this will be for them. When's the last time a major new phone launched without carriers up on stage doing a dance about how excited they were to be partners.

Call me crazy but I see this as setting up a potential Google vs Carrier battle royale...

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Admin
    I thought it was REALLY weak when they wouldn't address the multi-touch / international issue.

I'm sort of thinking the same thing....I don't think they adequately addressed the competition aspect in the press conf. And it is telling that no carriers were there...even Tmo!

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    I'm sort of thinking the same thing....I don't think they adequately addressed the competition aspect in the press conf. And it is telling that no carriers were there...even Tmo!
    Well, the only thing they could have said to be honest was the following:

The carriers can either be a part of it, or not. If they choose not to be a part of it, they will lose sales. Otherwise, they can be a part of the model as we have set it out to be, up to them.

--

That's just calling it like it is.

That certainly seems to sum it all up!

That's fine for GSM carriers where you can swap SIM cards. The CDMA crew has always been much tougher and required some sort of advance testing prior to approving phones on their network.

It will be very interesting to see how the whole repairs side of things works. One of the HUGE strengths of a nationwide network of stores is that if you break the phone you can walk in and get another. Here that won't happen and you'll be forced into an overseas call center...

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links