No Need for a Carrier.. Use G VOICE!

This is a discussion on No Need for a Carrier.. Use G VOICE! within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I had the intention of buying the Nexus Unlocked and making the Nexus One a Mobile Net Phone/Email and app toy, like an iPod Touch ...

Thread: No Need for a Carrier.. Use G VOICE!

No Need for a Carrier.. Use G VOICE!

I had the intention of buying the Nexus Unlocked and making the Nexus One a Mobile Net Phone/Email and app toy, like an iPod Touch but with the benefits of using it as a phone/txt/as well with Google Voice. When you are on an active Wireless Connection you can use your Google Voice account with-out any Sim card... Now the catch is that you have to apply for an invite to get Google Voice.

With this actually working on the Nexus (iPhone would work too but ATT restricted Apple from having google voice in there app store) you would not need a carrier albeit you have a regular mobile phone for everyday use when your not near a wireless connection..

For those of us that live in NYC or on Long Island NY we have the benefit of having Cablevisions Optimum WIFI on the street free for Optimum customers.. There my friend is the key for Google Voice to make and recieve phone calls while on the move in certain areas that have this Air WIFI.. Oh its going to be a fun 2010 indeed!
    MOTO DROID & :nexusx:NEXUS ONE

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Thanks for the info, Spydaz. I was wondering about that very question earlier.

But Google voice , as it is now, needs to call you back to connect you the the party you want to speak with.

IE: from google voice you enter the number you wish to dial, then you select where google voice will redirect that call to ( home , mobile, office) then that phone will ring. when you pick up that line , you will then get a ringing for the number you wich to contact.

Now i am sure Google is working on true VOIP, but for now without a SIM card, we are SOL.

Scan this with your Nexus One
    Barcode Scanner

ahhh.....so the plot sickens! Thanks, Chaz!

Quote Originally Posted by chazman1117 View Post
    But Google voice , as it is now, needs to call you back to connect you the the party you want to speak with.

IE: from google voice you enter the number you wish to dial, then you select where google voice will redirect that call to ( home , mobile, office) then that phone will ring. when you pick up that line , you will then get a ringing for the number you wich to contact.

Now i am sure Google is working on true VOIP, but for now without a SIM card, we are SOL.
    I have used my droid to make GV calls and i set it to ask me if i wanted to make the call via carrier or GV. Hmmm... I dunno i guess i will have to see tomorrow before 3PM as Fed Ex says.....

Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    Did you buy the N1 yet??

With GV you can have it dial out straight, or have GV call you back to make the connection. Either way it isn't VOIP yet, but they are working on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spydaz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    Did you buy the N1 yet??

Nope. For various reasons, I'll probably wait til it comes out for VZW, and lean on a friend to get one then.

LOL lean on a friend! Thats what they are for! Have a good night see you all tomorrow when we have our N1's!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links