Porting old number to my new N1?

This is a discussion on Porting old number to my new N1? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; So my situation is that I am an existing T-Mobile customer, and my current plan is designated to end later this month. I exchanged a ...

Thread: Porting old number to my new N1?

Porting old number to my new N1?

So my situation is that I am an existing T-Mobile customer, and my current plan is designated to end later this month.

I exchanged a couple calls with T-Mobile's Customer Care and after about an hour or so of going back and forth I managed to sign up for a new line from www.google.com/phone for the N1 and a new number.

Now, I have two numbers from the OLD plan and now a NEW plan with the N1. My question is, will I be able to port my OLD number when my plan ends to replace the NEW number that is assigned to my N1?

I have asked T-Mobile and they said that they don't know much about the possibilities yet because:
    1. I may be violating the Terms of Sale and Google may charge me the difference of the discount I received on the phone ($350)
    2. Google may "lock" the NEW number that was assigned to my phone and changes will not be able to be made.

I'm not sure how correct the CSR was, b/c when I looked at the ToS, it says that I will only be in violation if I CANCEL the service (which I am not doing), I'm only porting a number in which I don't believe even changes the service plan because I'll still be using their $79.99/mo service.

Can anyone shed more light on this? All I really want is to keep my OLD number and have it transferred over. I hope this makes sense, I attached the ToS excerpt about paying the subsidy recovery fee for reference.

You agree to pay Google an equipment subsidy recovery fee (the "Equipment Recovery Fee") equal to the difference between the full price of the Nexus handheld device without service plan and the price you paid for the Nexus handheld device if you cancel your wireless plan prior to 120 days of continuous wireless service. For example, if the full price of the Nexus handheld device without service plan was $529 USD and the price you paid for the Nexus handheld device was $179 USD with a service plan, the Equipment Recovery Fee you pay will be $350 USD in the event you cancel within the first 120 days of carrier service. The Equipment Recovery Fee is equal to the line item in your confirmation email setting forth the discount on the full priced Nexus handheld device related to your carrier service plan activiation. You authorize Google to charge the Equipment Recovery Fee directly to your credit card, or other payment method used to purchase the Nexus handheld device, upon cancellation of your wireless plan. You will not be charged the Equipment Recovery Fee if you return your Nexus handheld device to Google within the 14 day Return Policy period as set forth below.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by esco View Post
    Can anyone shed more light on this? All I really want is to keep my OLD number and have it transferred over.
    Yes you can keep your old number and use it on your new N1 , but you will have to change your plan , it's gonna cost you at least 80$ per month (when buying the subsidized by T-MO)
    All the cheap plans that Tmobile has with other phones are not accessible with Nexus one.
    It means Nexus 1 owner will pay more money with Tmobile than the others users who doesn't have an N1 ,unless you buy an UNLOCKED Nexus one and just put the sim and you are good to go.

Porting old number

Just spoke with Google tech support 888 216 4736.
    The lady there said I cannot keep my old number from T Mobile, and there where no plans to do so.
    Wow thats a deal breaker, Apple Iphone here I come.

Quote Originally Posted by golivetv View Post
    The lady there said I cannot keep my old number from T Mobile, and there where no plans to do so.
    I don't know about you , but i would have bought an unlocked phone and use my old sim card , if i was a Tmobile user.
    I do have a 3G phone with ATT , and att is very expensive , the minimum plan (minutes) with unlimited data is around 85$.

NXS
    Confused - you signed up on a NexusOne forum to say that you weren't getting an N1 and you're getting an iPhone

Why can't you just take your existing T-Mobile SIM and put it in the N1? That'll take your number with it, wont it? Also, you called HTC at that number, I think, which may not have a good feel for what can be done on your T-Mobile account, you might want to call the T-Mobile customer service if you're unsure of your options.
    Happy Nexus One User Since Jan 6, 2010.
    On Amazon: Nexus One Chargers, Sync Cables, Headphones, and Cases.

Partially true. You cannot port a number that is under contract. If your contract is expiring at EOM, just wait and purchase the phone and perform the port then.

If you want to to port your phone number you will have to cancel your existing contract and pay the carrier early termination fee (provided youíre eligible to port it)Ö see details:
    Transfering your mobile phone number will terminate your current wireless service plan. If you are still under contract, you may be charged an early termination fee by your current wireless [COLOR=#67aa00 !important][COLOR=#67aa00 !important]service [COLOR=#67aa00 !important]provider[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. We can check your phone numberís eligibility for transfering now. Your number will not be transfered until after your phone is activated.

OK, thanks for the comments guys, so it seems like it might be doable.

From what I can gather from my conversations with the CSRs @ T-Mobile Customer Care, they say that they're simply not sure if it's possible because Google is very strict on their plans and since this is the 1st week in, T-Mobile doesn't have all the information they need either (they're getting daily updates that sometimes change things around). I think it really depends on the luck of the draw and how capable of a CSR I get from TM's CC. Some that I've spoken to are sure they can do it, while others say it's impossible. I think I'll wait my contract's expiration and see what happens. Will definitely update you guys on the status.

The only thing I'm afraid of is getting the same response golivetv got:

Bump - anyone have additional information that might help?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links