Nexus One and VOIP

This is a discussion on Nexus One and VOIP within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; so here is my master plan: 1 - get nexus one unlocked and with tmobile only with data plan 2 - port number, but get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Nexus One and VOIP

  1. #1
    Junior Member killerasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    11

    Nexus One and VOIP

    so here is my master plan:

    1 - get nexus one unlocked and with tmobile only with data plan
    2 - port number, but get no voice plan so i can use 911
    3 - install google voice and use it to dial in and dial out
    4 - set up call forwarding from my mobile number to my google voice number


    is this even fesable? is anyone else planning to do the same thing, get only a data plan?

  2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

  3. #2
    Junior Member crater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    15
    Google voice is currently NOT a VOIP provider. You will still be using minutes from your plan to dial out.

  4. #3
    Senior Member stephen293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    113
    Are you sure you can dial 911 from Gvoice even if you port your number?

  5. #4
    Junior Member matt212308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6
    I think you could get a Skype online number for $60 per year for placing/receiving calls. I know there is a Skype android app. I was also thinking of doing this and I think the combination Skype with Google Voice will work, but I am not sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by killerasp View Post
    so here is my master plan:

    1 - get nexus one unlocked and with tmobile only with data plan
    2 - port number, but get no voice plan so i can use 911
    3 - install google voice and use it to dial in and dial out
    4 - set up call forwarding from my mobile number to my google voice number


    is this even fesable? is anyone else planning to do the same thing, get only a data plan?

  6. #5
    Junior Member killerasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen293 View Post
    Are you sure you can dial 911 from Gvoice even if you port your number?
    im pretty sure google voice does not support 911 calls.

  7. #6
    Junior Member killerasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by matt212308 View Post
    I think you could get a Skype online number for $60 per year for placing/receiving calls. I know there is a Skype android app. I was also thinking of doing this and I think the combination Skype with Google Voice will work, but I am not sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by killerasp View Post
    so here is my master plan:

    1 - get nexus one unlocked and with tmobile only with data plan
    2 - port number, but get no voice plan so i can use 911
    3 - install google voice and use it to dial in and dial out
    4 - set up call forwarding from my mobile number to my google voice number


    is this even fesable? is anyone else planning to do the same thing, get only a data plan?
    yeah, i did see this. they have skype lite for the android, but i dont its as feature filled like its iphone brother.

  8. #7
    Junior Member matt212308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6
    I think as long as it provides a voice connection it will forward to google voice so you can handle everything from there.

    Quote Originally Posted by killerasp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt212308 View Post
    I think you could get a Skype online number for $60 per year for placing/receiving calls. I know there is a Skype android app. I was also thinking of doing this and I think the combination Skype with Google Voice will work, but I am not sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by killerasp View Post
    so here is my master plan:

    1 - get nexus one unlocked and with tmobile only with data plan
    2 - port number, but get no voice plan so i can use 911
    3 - install google voice and use it to dial in and dial out
    4 - set up call forwarding from my mobile number to my google voice number


    is this even fesable? is anyone else planning to do the same thing, get only a data plan?
    yeah, i did see this. they have skype lite for the android, but i dont its as feature filled like its iphone brother.

  9. #8
    Junior Member killerasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    11
    from what i have been reading on various forums, TM wont sell an only data plan to N1 users, on BB users.

  10. #9
    Junior Member killface666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7
    Seriously, other than the copy and paste chart that CLAIMS you can get a data only plan, where do you guys see a tmobile data only plan for an adroid head set.

    There is BB, WinMo and sidekick ones. Are you guys asking for WinMo sims and putting them in your android phone or what?

    Someone steer me to this fabled data only plan.

  11. #10
    Junior Member MountainX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by killerasp View Post
    so here is my master plan:

    1 - get nexus one unlocked and with tmobile only with data plan
    2 - port number, but get no voice plan so i can use 911
    3 - install google voice and use it to dial in and dial out
    4 - set up call forwarding from my mobile number to my google voice number


    is this even fesable? is anyone else planning to do the same thing, get only a data plan?
    I am planning something similar. I already have a Droid that I use with VoIP only and no voice plan. And T-Mobile tends to be friendlier to data-only plans and unlocked phones, so the Nexus One should be an ideal phone for this.

    Here is exactly how to set the Nexus One up for VoIP calling with no voice minutes needed.

    How To Set Up VoIP on the Nexus One Google Phone using Sipdroid for Free Calls | Dave's Tech Shop

    I have hit one major problem far -- the sound quality on the Nexus One when used for VoIP is much, much worse than the Droid. I'm hoping I can find a solution for that.

    Here's more detail on your questions:

    1 - get nexus one unlocked and with tmobile only with data plan
    No problem

    2 - port number, but get no voice plan so i can use 911
    Not needed. You can get an incoming number from a SIP provider (even for free) or from Google Voice.

    3 - install google voice and use it to dial in and dial out
    Google Voice does not handle VoIP for you. You need a SIP provider (such as Sipgate) and Sipdroid software (free). See the link above for details.

    4 - set up call forwarding from my mobile number to my google voice number
    Google Voice will handle all kinds of call forwarding options. It is very powerful. (But it is far from perfect. Google Voice has its own quality issues atm -- completely separate from VoIP issues.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Android Forum