Droid vs Nexus

This is a discussion on Droid vs Nexus within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Specs for Nexus One: Nexus One Phone - Feature overview & Technical specifications Size and weight Height 119mm (4.685") Width 59.8mm (2.3543") Depth 11.5mm (0.4528") ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Droid vs Nexus

Specs for Nexus One:
    Nexus One Phone - Feature overview & Technical specifications

Size and weight
    Height
    119mm (4.685")
    Width
    59.8mm (2.3543")
    Depth
    11.5mm (0.4528")
    Weight
    130 grams w/battery (4.58561 oz)
    100g w/o battery (3.52739 oz)

Specs for Motorola Droid:
    DROID by Motorola - Android phone - Motorola USA

Size and Weight
    Height
    115.80mm (4.6")
    Width
    60.00mm (2.4")
    Depth
    13.70mm (0.5")
    Weight
    169 grams w/battery (6 oz)

Quote Originally Posted by SoftwareForMe.com View Post
    We have both, love both, but have some comparisons.

Ergonomics
    The Nexus is almost exactly the same height and width, but decidedly thinner. It's corners are rounded, the bottom end a bit tapered, and it has a Teflon coating that gives it a slight rubbery feel.

The Nexus is quite lighter. Personally I like the density of the Droid, but I would say the Nexus isn't so light that it feels like a toy. It feels high-tech.

The screens are the same size of course, though the Nexus falls short of the Droid by 54 pixels on the long axis of the screen.

If I turn off "Auto brightness" and set both at 50%, the Nexus' screen is dramatically brighter. Although the contrast difference is substantial, I can't claim it is subjectively "better," because I really like the Droid's screen and contrast ratio.

The soft-buttons at the bottom of the screen are not as sensitive as on the Droid. Sometimes I have to press Home 2 or 3 times for it to notice I did so.

Performance
    When running basic apps, such as swiping the home screen side to side, I see no real difference. Google searches (same network, etc.) are identical. Market and other basic apps are about the same; sometimes the Droid wins by a blink, sometimes the Nexus.

However, if I run more intensive apps, such as our Imagine Multi-touch, I notice a significant decrease in lag on some operations, such as switching between 2d thumbnails and 3d billboard view. Sometimes, the difference is about 50% (Nexus wins over Droid).

Subjective Conclusion
    If I had a Droid, I would NOT get a Nexus. The user experience will be VERY similar, once the Droid has 2.1. If I had a MyTouch or other 1st generation Android device, I would upgrade if I used my phone a lot.

Honestly, I can choose to use either phone (Droid/Nexus) as my daily phone, and I am undecided.
    Know that was some good feedback thanks

I have a Droid and will be considering the N1 in the spring. I love my Droid and like stated the phone should be similar once we receive Android 2.1

Great feedback. I am still on the fence. While the allure of the Nexus One is very tempting, I'm still wrestling with justifying $529 for the phone (I actually do have the money right now too having won 2 FF leagues), even if it may be THE android phone for the next year. I am most definitely going with the N1 or the Droid, but I just can't come to a decision yet.

I am stuck for a year and a half on an ATT contract, so I could pay the ETF (like $140) and then sign up with Verizon and get a Droid for $119. I could also get the N1, ride out EDGE for a while, while still using WiFi, and later go TMobile without a contract if I so choose. That's the tough decision I am facing.

or.... so I could pay the ETF (like $140) and then sign up with T-Mobile and get a Nexus One for $179.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal65 View Post
    or.... so I could pay the ETF (like $140) and then sign up with T-Mobile and get a Nexus One for $179.
    True, but I am a bit concerned about signal. T-Mobile is supposed to be excellent where I live, with 3G rolled out on December 1st of last year. However, if the signal turns out to be shoddy, I'd rather not have to go through the return process. That and most everyone I know is still with ATT, meaning I may get bitten by the relatively light 500 minute package. True I could always upgrade, but I'd rather not pay more than $80 a month for service if I could help it.

Yea I know - I want my have my cake and eat it too. Maybe I am being a little too conservative and should just use the money from FF that I wouldn't have otherwise had anyway.

I used TMO for a couple years and their coverage was good in the city here. I only had EDGE coverage but I didn't know any better back then. Where I ran into problems is traveling into more rural areas. My wife would have a signal (VZW) and I would be dead in the water. I switched to VZW in 2007 and have been happy since then. It made sense for me to get a Droid as I was already with VZW and I see it making sense to go with the Nexus if you are on TMO.

The phones are very similar with a couple differences (something major to me is no physical keyboard on Nexus) and I see them as allies not enemies. If you are unsure which to go with, I don't think you will go wrong with either one. You may have some coverage problems with TMO as I did but you may be looking for something lighter and without a physical keyboard. Then you have to decide which means more to you and go with it.

Regardless of the choice, welcome to Android, you'll like it here.

I am sure I will enjoy either one thoroughly, compared to this non-touch screen Samsung Jack WinMo. Dead platform walking.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal65 View Post
    Here is Engadget's review of the Nexus One with some comparisons with the Droid and iPhone... sure there are other's.

Nexus One review -- Engadget

The problem with this review is the Droid was running 2.0, not 2.1. People that have rooted the Droid to run 2.1 have all said it seemed to run faster and all while not even being optimized for the device as yet. I have the feeling there will be similar performance between the two phones once 2.1 is official for the Droid. That said, the N1 still has the advantage with Snapdragon and additional RAM.

Junior Member SoftwareForMe.com's Avatar
    I stand corrected on the screen sizes. Per Pushdrops request:
    * The Droid screen is about 2 mm taller (in the long direction)
    * The Nexus screen is about 2 mm wider (in the short direction)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links