5 opportunities Google missed with Nexus One

This is a discussion on 5 opportunities Google missed with Nexus One within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Let's take this post for what it is people. Some dude, with apparent bias against Google for whatever reason, is trying to get press for ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5 opportunities Google missed with Nexus One

Let's take this post for what it is people. Some dude, with apparent bias against Google for whatever reason, is trying to get press for his not that impressive blog. Admin, please remove the thread or the links to this persons blog as their only goal from this post was promotion of their blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiran View Post
    I really hate when people post links to their blogs instead of making their point. Here's his blog post.

It is no secret that Google’s launch of Nexus One phone was less than stellar. Google had so many opportunities to become a game changer in the mobile phone market but missed most of it either because it was in a hurry to launch or just didn’t think hard enough to be different from Apple’s iPhone and others. Here is a list of my Top5 opportunities they missed. Let me know what do you think?

1) New Data only Phone – Google was Industry’s only hope for creating a data only phone i.e. a mobile phone that worked exclusively on the data network wherein voice was just a data service running on VOIP (voice over Internet protocol). With Google Voice it had a chance to do so but failed to deliver a new experience and instead chose to just add Google Voice this as another application something Skype has been doing on many phones for a long time.

2) Worldwide Launch – No mobile phone manufacturer, except RIM in a limited way, has ever succeeded in launching a phone globally on the same day. Google came very close with availability on its web site but missed a part of US, China, India and Korea by not having all GSM and CDMA support at the same time.

3) Pricing Model – Google had a great opportunity to create a low price smart phone and break the mobile operator’s hold on multi-year contracts in the western world where mobile phone is subsidized by the operator. It could have subsidized the phone for a while and create a new pricing model. It could have become an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) if that is what it took to pay for the phone. Instead Google did whatever everyone else did but settled on taking smaller margin between itself and its partner HTC.

4) Speech as a New Interface – Google came close but only got to a beta or alpha stage for using Speech as a new interface on Mobile. Another missed opportunity!

5) Getting rid of Bluetooth Headsets – Despite various new styles, very few people like their Bluetooth headset but are forced to use it due to various handsfree driving laws. Google seems to be getting close to eliminating them with a better audio design but wait - it does need a Car Kit that according to Google is still not available. Again in a hurry to launch!

Bottomline, Google missed an opportunity to change the mobile industry and just became a me too player challenging Apple’s iPhone. What do you think?

R. Paul Singh
    I fail to see the importance of most of your points (like, why is a worldwide launch important? At best this is a marketing stunt), and you should really try to back up statements such as this -
    4) Speech as a New Interface – Google came close but only got to a beta or alpha stage for using Speech as a new interface on Mobile. Another missed opportunity!
    Please, explain.
    May be we have too high an expectation from Google in terms of innovating. Can you really use Speech to do most of your tasks like a visually impaired person can with a Nokia phone and some third party software. The answer is not quite. The speech interface works 60-70% of the time. Hope that clarifies my position on this.

Thanks for your comments. regarding VoIP security, it is overblown and there are many solutions out there. I still think it was an opportunity missed to make a bolder statement. They could have done a Wifi VOIP with an automatic switch to 3G when Wifi was not available.

Quite the contrary my expectation from Google are just much higher than from other companies like Microsoft. So in this context I think Google had an opportunity to make some bold statements and shake the market. I just think they did only incremental improvements if that over iPhone and still lack some features. So feature for feature it will be a toss up but couldn't any of their partners have done the same. Did we really need Google to come into the market rather than having Motorola or HTC release it so that they could have stayed as a pure play and continue to make innovation in the OS and application arena.

Google probably felt that the world wasn't quite ready for a data only phone using VOIP. I was hoping for this, but I guess they couldn't put it together. I did notice that T-Mobile has data only plans that can be purchased. Maybe someone could go this route on their own? Maybe if some one tries this, they could share their experience?

Speech interfaces have been in use on Nokia phones with many third party software for visually impaired people. They have stayed in the niche domain since the pricing is high and volume is low. Google had an opportunity to make speech as an interface but it has done limited functionality and accuracy is not any more than 60-70%. Just to be fair, Apple is not any better in that feature they bundled with 3GS

Sorry I disagree. if anyone had a chance to change in a one big step they did. Apple did so by eliminating operators from the business of App Stores. I still don't see what did Google really change besides offering phone from its Web site waiting for operator contracts to be done and then making it available through them. They changed with the concept of Android and should have probably stuck to that and continued to innovate there.

I agree that it is a great phone but did we really need Google to bring that to market when it had so many Android partners.

Quote Originally Posted by rpsingh View Post
    Sorry I disagree. if anyone had a chance to change in a one big step they did. Apple did so by eliminating operators from the business of App Stores. I still don't see what did Google really change besides offering phone from its Web site waiting for operator contracts to be done and then making it available through them. They changed with the concept of Android and should have probably stuck to that and continued to innovate there.
    Once Verizon starts selling Nexus One, there will be 2 company's selling the same phone. At that point customers can buy it unlocked, for T-Mobile, or Verizon. I have also seen some rumors that AT&T will be offering Android phones. Maybe they will carry the Nexus One? If so, that would be another choice.

So Google has encouraged choice. Maybe as time goes on, they will encourage more (maybe VOIP, through Google Voice?). I think Google has made a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by rpsingh View Post
    Quite the contrary my expectation from Google are just much higher than from other companies like Microsoft. So in this context I think Google had an opportunity to make some bold statements and shake the market. I just think they did only incremental improvements if that over iPhone and still lack some features. So feature for feature it will be a toss up but couldn't any of their partners have done the same. Did we really need Google to come into the market rather than having Motorola or HTC release it so that they could have stayed as a pure play and continue to make innovation in the OS and application arena.
    Motorola and HTC had their chance to release their fair shares of Android phones, especially HTC but probably it wasn't good enough for Google so they had to step up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links