5 opportunities Google missed with Nexus One

This is a discussion on 5 opportunities Google missed with Nexus One within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; The one other major problem with VOIP: roaming. At the moment, data roaming is horrendously expensive. Google would have to have agreements for no or ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5 opportunities Google missed with Nexus One

The one other major problem with VOIP: roaming.

At the moment, data roaming is horrendously expensive. Google would have to have agreements for no or low cost data roaming with all the worlds major carriers to make a VOIP only phone. And why would the networks agree to that?!

Without that, you end up with a Phone that can only be used on your own network, only when there's a good data signal (so not reliable on trais, for example) and can't even make emergency calls when it has to.

Voice is also part of the GSM standard, phones without it aren't GSM and so can't go onto GSM networks.

NXS
    Just wanted to thank the OP for coming back and responding to some posts, I thought this one might be a hit and run
    Happy Nexus One User Since Jan 6, 2010.
    On Amazon: Nexus One Chargers, Sync Cables, Headphones, and Cases.

I dont really think these were all that valid I would give it number 2 which it almost was a world wide launch and thats still a very impressive thing to do. Do you what it takes to actually even come up with estamating production numbers so they dont start running out on day one. The second one would be number 4 which is has acomplished this.

And I would like to add a real oppurtunity they missed is Video Dialing over 3g. Companies are still behind when comapred to China and the UK. What Iam talking about is the ability to have Visual calls with a camera infront of the phone. China has has this for a couple of years already. This is the only thing which would have comepletly changed the cellphone industary once again. Just as we have seen that smart phones are new common phone, this should have been implemented since the technology is there and all the telecomunication networks can handle it.
    Heres the link that proves it exsists.
    Video calling on mobile phones to go mainstream | Crave - CNET

Here it is on an HTC which I just found and I really cant beilve that the N1 doesnt support Video Calling when its been used on the HTC Diamond.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYVBok0I6EE[/ame]

You can even have video calling in South America without even a smart phone now that is just crazy. So basically we here in the US were suppose to be technologically advanced and this goes to prove its the other way around when it comes to video calling
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMk_r-TTqpI&feature=related[/ame]

I Hardly think video calling would 'change the industry' when it's been on most decent phones since the 90's.

Thing is, nobody ever uses it, so it's a waste.

I jsut cant wait till we can get data only plans and use use things like google voice

Video calls with a cell may be a game changer because it isnt attached to the wall

Quote Originally Posted by TonyHoyle View Post
    I Hardly think video calling would 'change the industry' when it's been on most decent phones since the 90's.

First of there is no way of saying that no one uses it here in the US since it has never been offered. Second I know for a fact the video calling technology has not been around since the 90s. Common we still didnt even have 100 dollar plans and crazy text plans in the 90s. And there were only a few cell phones with camera phones they hadnt not even been a common on every phone like today. Third If people here in the US had the ability I think on a 1 to 10 scale of using it would be 7 or 8 that they would. Why would you not?

Heres an article of when this technology really started to get going.
    Video calling on mobile phones to go mainstream | Crave - CNET

NXS
    I, for one, do not desire video calls from my mobile. When I'm on the phone, I'm usually driving, walking, running - none of which lend themselves to a decent video call. If I'm actually stationary, I'm usually not putting 100% into the conversation I'm having, and I probably wouldn't want the person on the other end of the line to know that .

Not to mention it would dramatically change the way that phone interviews happened, and how are kids going to lie to their parents about where they are :rofl3:.
    Happy Nexus One User Since Jan 6, 2010.
    On Amazon: Nexus One Chargers, Sync Cables, Headphones, and Cases.

Quote Originally Posted by !!11oneone View Post
    The one other major problem with VOIP: roaming.

At the moment, data roaming is horrendously expensive. Google would have to have agreements for no or low cost data roaming with all the worlds major carriers to make a VOIP only phone. And why would the networks agree to that?!

Without that, you end up with a Phone that can only be used on your own network, only when there's a good data signal (so not reliable on trais, for example) and can't even make emergency calls when it has to.

Voice is also part of the GSM standard, phones without it aren't GSM and so can't go onto GSM networks.
    So looks like a huge Vphone comapny called Saygus @ CES 2010 read my mind and put into action what I have been thinking about for a while since smart phones came to be and also created exaclty what I stated in post for just this past week
    LOL. Heres the link [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdzlS1Fl2c8[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by TonyHoyle View Post

Heres exaclty what I was talking about in my post from last week something you just wont be able to argue with and here comes the game changer . A company named Saygus just came out with an Adroid, almost Droid looking phone with Video phone cabilities in high speed and quality.
    They just anounce of course the phone at CES 2010. Heres the link
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdzlS1Fl2c8[/ame]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links