Did any of you switch from VZW - what carrier are you on?

This is a discussion on Did any of you switch from VZW - what carrier are you on? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I have the Droid on VZW and will probably have to wait until the device is released on this carrier. I am curious about whether ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did any of you switch from VZW - what carrier are you on?

Did any of you switch from VZW - what carrier are you on?

I have the Droid on VZW and will probably have to wait until the device is released on this carrier. I am curious about whether any of you switched from VZW so that you get get the Nexus One. What carried are you on and how is carrier performance?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Seems like a bad move to switch from VZW for the N1 when it's just a couple months on the horizon (hopefully). Personally I'm not willing to be on any other network, no matter how cool the phone is. My old roommate had an iphone, he couldn't use it in our apartment. We live 2 miles from downtown Long Beach CA - one of the highest populated areas in the state and the country for that matter. IMO it's unacceptable not to have service in an area like that. I've wanted an iphone for years, would have bought one if it worked on VZW. Afterall, what good is a phone if you can't use it? Always funny when your friends w/ iphones need to borrow your dumb phone cause theirs doesn't work...

With that said I have heard good things are coming to TM in regard to service, so I'm not going to make any judgment on what may be happening - but as it stands now I don't see any reason to go w/ anybody but VZW if top notch service is what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by mapexvenus View Post
    I have the Droid on VZW and will probably have to wait until the device is released on this carrier. I am curious about whether any of you switched from VZW so that you get get the Nexus One. What carried are you on and how is carrier performance?

Verizon doesn't use GSM technology , so you can not sell that phone for the rest of the world if you want to.
    That device will accept only us verizon sim card. Verizon and Sprint have CDMA devices/network.

ATT/T-MO are GSM like Europe and Asia , rest of the World.

Ya, I just switched from Verizon to T-mobile because of the Nexus. Reception was great at work, but almost nothing at home. The T-mobile map lists my house as 'good', the phone shows it as 'no service' most of the time.

Anyone else have T-mobile problems? I love the Nexus One, but if it won't work as a phone it's a bit limiting for me!

Quote Originally Posted by dida View Post

Verizon doesn't use GSM technology , so you can not sell that phone for the rest of the world if you want to.
    That device will accept only us verizon sim card. Verizon and Sprint have CDMA devices/network.

CDMA does not use SIM cards. Verizon and Sprint cards are identified through the ESN mostly now, somewhat older phones with the IMEI.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post

CDMA does not use SIM cards. Verizon and Sprint cards are identified through the ESN mostly now, somewhat older phones with the IMEI.
    Yes, but I think some have the option to have a SIM card installed, my cousin has a Blackberry Tour on Verizon and I seem to remember a SIM card in there when he showed me the phone. He was also able to add international service for his trip to New Zealand.

NXS
    I switched from VZW to AT&T a couple of years ago, terrible move as far as coverage goes, but was financial motivated. I've had four phones with AT&T pre-N1 and they all dropped calls around the same places (you know, those certain spots on the ride home...) and I always assumed poor AT&T coverage.

I'm happy to report that with the Nexus One, my AT&T coverage has improved. Perhaps it has a better overall antenna than the crap I've been dealing with?

In any case, unless you're unhappy with VZW for some reason or another, I'd say wait it out and get the N1 on the VZW network. If your contract is coming to an end anyway, there may end up being a decent subsidized plan available upon release.
    Happy Nexus One User Since Jan 6, 2010.
    On Amazon: Nexus One Chargers, Sync Cables, Headphones, and Cases.

I brought two lines over to Tmobile to get the nexus one. One from verizon and one from at&t. Our house is on the "good" line as well. I always have service with Tmobile (it fluctuates constantly from 1 bar to 4) but data is spotty. It has actually really helped to force the nexus to only do 3g. I found when there was very little service, edge was extremely spotty and slow. With 3g, its always connected and much faster. The how to is on this board somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by NXS View Post
    I switched from VZW to AT&T a couple of years ago, terrible move as far as coverage goes, but was financial motivated. I've had four phones with AT&T pre-N1 and they all dropped calls around the same places (you know, those certain spots on the ride home...) and I always assumed poor AT&T coverage.

I'm happy to report that with the Nexus One, my AT&T coverage has improved. Perhaps it has a better overall antenna than the crap I've been dealing with?

In any case, unless you're unhappy with VZW for some reason or another, I'd say wait it out and get the N1 on the VZW network. If your contract is coming to an end anyway, there may end up being a decent subsidized plan available upon release.

Stay away from cdma, because femtojack is here ..only on GSM network , let s the countdown starts ....

NXS
    Stay away from cdma, because femtojack is here ..only on GSM network , let s the countdown starts ....
    I think I'll wait before jumping on that wagon, especially in the US where providers are going to be fighting with carriers before it'll be allows. I nominate AT&T to be the first to put down the hammer
    Happy Nexus One User Since Jan 6, 2010.
    On Amazon: Nexus One Chargers, Sync Cables, Headphones, and Cases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links