No Push?

This is a discussion on No Push? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Does Android not do push notifications? I'm discovering that google voice isn't worth as much as I'd thought because it only polls for messages on ...

Thread: No Push?

No Push?

Does Android not do push notifications?

I'm discovering that google voice isn't worth as much as I'd thought because it only polls for messages on an interval.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by jah View Post
    Does Android not do push notifications?

I'm discovering that google voice isn't worth as much as I'd thought because it only polls for messages on an interval.

To configure the 'Email' app on an Android device for access to Gmail, just follow the steps below:
    1. Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.
    2. On your phone, press < Home >, then open the Email application.
    3. On the 'Your accounts' page, select Next to get started with setup.
    4. Enter your full Gmail address and password, then select Next.
    5. On the next screen, you can give the account a nickname and choose the name to display on your outgoing messages. Tap Done.
    And you're done. You can verify your settings from the Inbox view by tapping < Menu > > Account settings.
    Incoming settings
    IMAP server: imap.gmail.com
    Port: 993
    Security type: SSL (always)
    Outgoing settings
    SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
    Port: 465
    Security type: SSL (always)

Source:
    Android - Gmail Help

So it can do push, and email does push, but other apps where I was expecting it - eg google voice - don't, I guess?

My Google Voice let me know about my test voicemail immediately after I left it, along with the SMS notification and email notification. All 3 came simultaneously (which was admittedly a bit much). But if that wasn't pushed there then it must be checking every .1 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by jrl022 View Post
    My Google Voice let me know about my test voicemail immediately after I left it, along with the SMS notification and email notification. All 3 came simultaneously (which was admittedly a bit much). But if that wasn't pushed there then it must be checking every .1 seconds.
    not sure hwo this happened, as there is a refresh frequency option in GV, and the lowest option is 5minutes.

If someone leaves me a voicemail and they can't wait 5 minutes I have a feeling they'll call me back right away.
    Rooted Nexus One

I don't want mine checking every five minutes, though, just to get it close to when it comes. It seems like this is an ideal push app.

Although maybe five minutes is less intensive than push? anyone know?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links