Navigation...wow

This is a discussion on Navigation...wow within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by SoCal65 TonyHoyle, This currently only works in the US.... where are you located? I'm in the UK....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Navigation...wow

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal65 View Post
    TonyHoyle,

This currently only works in the US.... where are you located?
    I'm in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyHoyle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal65 View Post
    TonyHoyle,

This currently only works in the US.... where are you located?
    I'm in the UK.
    There you go.....

Google Maps Navigation is currently only available in the United States on phones that run Android 1.6 and higher, including the Droid.
    Google Maps Navigation on your mobile phone

Tony from the extra layers that's being offered--and as you stated yourself--the app that's opened up for you is Google Maps. When we click on navigate it opens up a separate app called Google Navigation. Still beta version so you may see it soon over there across the atlantic.

Probably like Latitude was on the G1.. purposefully locked out in the UK, but someone will find a way around it.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyHoyle View Post
    Probably like Latitude was on the G1.. purposefully locked out in the UK, but someone will find a way around it.
    The reason I believe is because Google owns the map data they have for the US, whereas they don't for the rest of the world and part of the agreement for using it is not to implement sat nav capabilities. Something like that anyway, but it basically translates to the usual - don't expect to see it officially in the UK for a good long while, at least until they have the majority of the UK street viewed.

Cool Google navigation

The google turn by turn navigation is the same one that my G1 has it was upgraded to turn by turn navigation with voice at least a couple months ago. I also have a stand alone navigation system (Tom Tom 130) and I find the Google navigation to be far more accurate. Since I staterd using it on my phone my Tom Tom is just gathering dust in the house. Bonus, the Tom Tom car charger works for the G1 so at least I got a free car charger out of it.

Heres an interesting experiment you can try (in the US at least) use both devices to navigate to the same location, someplace you know well like from work to home. see which device gives you the most accurate and shortest directions. I think you will be pleasently surprised.

I wonder if this would work for the N1:
    Google Maps Navigation UK: Follow our tutorial! | Electricpig

Quote Originally Posted by pmjoyce View Post
    Possibly.. I haven't rooted yet so can't try it.

Tried the navigation going to work today. It is absolutely awesome.

Only gripe is I wish the speaker was a bit louder but overall, it's very very slick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links