Navigation...wow

This is a discussion on Navigation...wow within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Sooo.... anyone want a Garmin nuvi 255W? Granted I've only had 2 test runs with it, but the navigation system on this thing is impressive. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navigation...wow

Navigation...wow

Sooo.... anyone want a Garmin nuvi 255W?

Granted I've only had 2 test runs with it, but the navigation system on this thing is impressive. Setting it to satellite view makes you feel like there is actually a helicopter taking video of you from behind while you drive. I strongly suggest you guys get out of the house with this thing and check it out.
    Rooted Nexus One

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You mean google maps? I'm not sure that'd compete with a dedicated satnav.. Couldn't cope without voice directions myself.

Or is there some other app to download?

Look for "Car Home" -> hit Voice Search -> say something like "Navigate to..." -> it will bring you into a full featured GPS system with audio turn by turn directions including street names. The best part is when you're actually moving in the vehicle and turn on satellite view.

Getting rid of my Garmin is a bit of a stretch - true - but this will still get used a hell of a lot more than Live (now Bling) did on my Blackberry. I wasn't a huge fan of Google Maps for my BB as a GPS, but this changes things.
    Rooted Nexus One

Not here... just brings up standard google maps.

Have you installed something to do that? It sounds interesting.

Damn that voice thing is awful! It keeps picking random websites in the browser instead of maps. After 6 times the closest I've got is to navigate to Stockholm, a few thousand miles away..

Edit: Got it to say it was doing a navigation thing (to a random set of words unrelated to anything I spoke!), brought up a list of addresses nearby (unrelated to the words, as far as I could tell) then blew up with 'Navigation to your destination is not available'. Not impressed, TBH... if it can't work out how to go half a mile down a single main road it isn't going to be able to do anything complex.

Should have come on your phone.

Try this... in the Google search field that shoudl have been defaulted on one of the desktops type in "Car Home". Provided that "Applications" is set to be search in the Settings, the App should show up as a steering wheel. If Apps are set to be searched in settings and it still doesn't come up, you may have an issue.

Also a side note: When using voice on this search it send it directly to the web and doesn't go through the Apps - so be sure to type it, not say it.
    Rooted Nexus One

Page 220 of the User Guide (PDF) covers "Navigating with spoken, turn-by-turn directions"

Link in signature below....

Its funny you mentioned this as I have the exact same Nav device. I am truly amazed at the GPS function esp since it offers traffic info and everything. I'm not saying it may be up-to-date as XM navtraffic but wow it is does a lot more than my Nuvi.

Tony, are you located in europe or something? I'm confused as why you would have "websites."

Anyway under the navigation feature hit the menu button > layers

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal65 View Post
    Page 220 of the User Guide (PDF) covers "Navigating with spoken, turn-by-turn directions"

Link in signature below....
    Those instructions do not work on my phone.

Touch Navigate in the directions screen -> Goes directly to standard google maps.

Say 'Navigate to' - notwithstanding the innacuracy of the voice search.. brings up 'Unable to navigate' error.

There must be a setting/app I'm missing somewhere.

TonyHoyle,

This currently only works in the US.... where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by stephen293 View Post
    Anyway under the navigation feature hit the menu button > layers
    Ahh now we're getting somewhere. My maps has a layers option.

I have 4 options:
    Traffic
    Satellite
    Latitude
    Driving Directions to (next door)

Under 'More layers' I have
    My Maps
    Wikipedia
    Transit Lines
    Favourite Places (that one is *wierd* - It's not places but people!).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links