iPhone Users: Whatya Think so Far?

This is a discussion on iPhone Users: Whatya Think so Far? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I've been looking for over a year really to ditch ATT and still have 3G type service. Now, I am a poweruser big time. I'm ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone Users: Whatya Think so Far?

iPhone Users: Whatya Think so Far?

I've been looking for over a year really to ditch ATT and still have 3G type service.
    Now, I am a poweruser big time. I'm rarely home and use it virtually like a laptop. So fluent device navigation and data entry is key for me. Don't want a physical keyboard.
    Have tried Droid, Pre, G1, Hero...and a few touchscreen WinMo devices god forbid (although haven't tried the HD2!).
    The two I've had on the horizon are this Nexus and the Xperian 10 coming out.

So....man, so wanted this to have me kiss that button-downed Iphone goodbye, which of course I've loved since I got one day 1 2007, but connection issues, poor camera..still, have made it a frustrating experience...even with it jailbroken.

Nexus is fantastic. Beautiful. But as always the bottom line is how well can I move around on it, get to where I need to quickly and efficiently, and enter data effectively, especially.

It just falls short...(gonna give it 2 weeks, lol!).

I still need to tryout a few more keyboards...especially the one touted on XDA-developers, sorry forget name). I mean as virtual keyboards go there good but U can't fly on it like the Iphone. Typing in form boxes is painful...some letters do NOT want to enter...then a reboot fixes it)

Pages do not render as readable as the iPhone.
    The XDA-developer forum page is an example. All text is bunched over to the left, with a ton of blank space on the right....the Iphones are layed out perfectly...check it out).
    Copy Paste, really use that..a lot!, despite Inserty app, is clumsy. Highlighting text: if you miss some, just goes straight to the clipboard anyway.

Apps like Evernote and others are just cheaply rendered/developed? For Android comparatively.
    I SO much like the Nexus camera AND video output better than Iphone.
    Anyway, wondering how other Iphone users are experiencing the Nexus so far.
    I know it's early...takes time to acclimate, I know!
    Thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

BTW, I was a hardcore WM user a few years ago and was looking forward to the HD2 for the last few months. After a lot of consideration and readin though, i decided i was done tweaking my phone just for the sake of it running the way I wanted it.

I keep reading about the HD2 that "It's the best Windows Mobile phone ever made...but it's still Windows Mobile, so expect slowdowns and freezes"
    Rooted Nexus One

i feel you man.

ive been wanting to the nexus one. im still a first gen iphone and i cant seem to pull the trigger to get the N1.

i think i will wait a couple of weeks to think about it get peoples opinion on it.

This is my first post from the nexus one. I am breezing on this keyboard. Sold my 3GS to use this phone on att. Not a single regret yet because of my proximity to wifi at all times and edge isn't all that bad.

Admin
    I also was very surprised by the keyboard. Far superior to the iPhone in my opinion.

I love it. I loved the G1 but it just didn't seem polished plus it looked like a cheap plastic thing. This combines the style and polish with the best parts of android.

Web browsing is amazingly fast (almost desktop speeds, which is impressive for a phone).. Keyboard is better IMO.. it does it right - it suggests words rather than the apple way of overwriting what you typed without asking.

Ability to switch off wifi/gps/etc. from the home screen.. thus saving battery because you only have on what you need.

Battery life seems much better as well.. I'm hammering this thing and it's barely below 90%.

No more cluttered home screen.. just the apps I want plus a news widget.

Background apps! No more need to pull the phone out of my pocket every half hour to check twitter etc. - the phone tells me.

Unlocked - the end of having to jailbreak every time there's an update just to use the device I paid for.

Bad things.. voice input is still largely a novelty. Example phrase 'Today I went shopping with my aunt flo' the phone thinks is 'Dane wittrup alpha' It seems the games we used to have with voice search are going to get even more funny with voice SMS (this could be seen as a plus - I can see a whole underground of people SMSing gibberish to each other and working out what they actually said).

Amazon MP3 sounds interesting but just crashes on startup. Not that I buy music that much any more.. that's what Spotify is for

Wow, that's surprising.
    I have both phones activated...and, it is better than the G1, and perhaps it's just acclimation, but accuracy and speed aren't close for me. The clicking seems surer somehow, and the spaces between the phone make a 2thumb typing experience just way better for me on the iPhone ....especially at the bottom of the keyboard...way easier to hit the space bar or te back button on the nexus.

I was planning on giving it the full 14 day trial - but I've already put my iphone up for sale. The N1 is vastly superior in nearly all regards.

The voice input is good as far as I'm concerned - but you really have to enunciate, which seems to make sense to me.

Iphone may be a great phone, but frankly I'd rather be on cricket that at&t lol

Quote Originally Posted by Keiran View Post
    The voice input is good as far as I'm concerned - but you really have to enunciate, which seems to make sense to me.
    I think the problem is you really have to enunciate *in american* which causes much hilarity this side of the pond.

The choice is
    1. Sound like a bad impression of a texan dirt farmer.
    2. Get random words.

Both have their place

To be fair it has got entire sentences right for me, provided I stick to short words ('the rain in spain falls mainly on the plain' works even if I say it in authentic Dick Van Dyke style)... it's just absolutely hopeless on names (wrong *every* time), and long words (keeps breaking them up into shorter, wrong, ones).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links