So what improvements would you suggest for the next nexus?

This is a discussion on So what improvements would you suggest for the next nexus? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Nexus's? Nexus'? Nexii? I'm very pleased with this phone, but there's always something to make it a bit better. So what suggestions would you have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what improvements would you suggest for the next nexus?

So what improvements or updates would you like to see for the N1 or future Nexus's...

Nexus's? Nexus'? Nexii?

I'm very pleased with this phone, but there's always something to make it a bit better. So what suggestions would you have to Google/HTC?

-KEYBOARD!!!!!!
    -Native Multitouch
    -Allow non-GMail and other servers into the same google supported app. I like having the GMail app, but have to keep my other emails in another email app. Boo.
    -Google Wave!!! Currently both browsers end up crashing Android when trying to load Wave.
    Rooted Nexus One

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I hate having keyboard :D Just makes em look plastic i think!

If i read right multitouch will work on Europe machines and i they should be working on US to but not googles own apps? So i guess somebody will make some program that makes it possible to use Multitouch as usual.

And i'm nearly 100% sure they will make something for google wave, since they want their own phone to support ALL google programs!

Wait for software updates, there should come improvements.

-trackball that turns on the screen.
    -ability to turn off the camera "shutter" sound without having to fully silence the whole phone.

All of these apart from the keyboard are software issues that'll probably be fixed within weeks anyway (well, maybe a bit longer for Wave - it's pretty taxing even on a dual core processor).

I'd like increased memory, faster processor, even better camera (optical image stabilisation and 1080p video capture please!).

Quote Originally Posted by srmjjg View Post
    -trackball that turns on the screen.
    -ability to turn off the camera "shutter" sound without having to fully silence the whole phone.
    Good ones!

Good points on the software vs. hardware issues. Perhaps I'll change the topic if I can. BTW, it has multitouch ability (download dolphin browser for proof) just not in the native apps...
    Rooted Nexus One

I am against the keyboard, main reason being that it will add extra weight/bulk to the phone. I have had all my smart phones with built-in keyboards, and I do not miss it at all now.

Getting rid of the keyboard is a key reason it's so slim and sleek and sexy.

Trackball turning on the home screen will result in a lot of accidental activations while in your pocket. Tho it would be cool if it was an option.

Multitouch is native to the device. Applications have to have it built in as well.

My Suggested Improvements so far:

-Make the power button stand out more, and easier to press

-settings should have an option to soft restart/reboot the phone

-settings need to be centralized and more organized, at this point everything is all over the place.

-double click the system tray instead of pull it down

-a little tab in the phone itself, to give you the ability to add a wrist strap or something to it, since it's so small/slim, it feels like it's about to fall out of your hand anytime you hold it while filming. (Everytime I film a video I am scared of dropping it!!!)

-give the ability to permanently disable some of the included Apps like Weather, GTalk, GVoice, MP3 Store (and others)-- as it stands now, they are a bit intrusive and insist on running always without asking for permission to do so.

-whenever an app is running, add a menu item that lets you "Exit Application" , so we don't have to use third-party software to manage killing them

double click the system tray instead of pull it down
    At the moment it's a single click to bring up the icons and a single click back to the desktop. Double click would make it harder?

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    -whenever an app is running, add a menu item that lets you "Exit Application" , so we don't have to use third-party software to manage killing them
    You don't need that. Android will kill any unused apps when it needs space automatically. An idle app doesn't use any battery so it's harmless - and when you want to go back to it you'll be glad it appears instantly.

-give the ability to permanently disable some of the included Apps like Weather, GTalk, GVoice, MP3 Store (and others)-- as it stands now, they are a bit intrusive and insist on running always without asking for permission to do so.
    Can you elaborate? I've never had an app run without me asking it to.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyHoyle View Post
    At the moment it's a single click to bring up the icons and a single click back to the desktop. Double click would make it harder?
    single clicking does not open it, i have to click on the corner, then 'drag down the drawer' to open up notifications

You don't need that. Android will kill any unused apps when it needs space automatically. An idle app doesn't use any battery so it's harmless - and when you want to go back to it you'll be glad it appears instantly.
    So far it seems not to be the case, I've had a few apps left in the background (GPS Speedometer for example) and it later came up as the biggest battery killer. Will try to observe what you say from now on.

Can you elaborate? I've never had an app run without me asking it to.
    Example, GTalk starts up on its own and signs me in. I sign out and logout. Few hours later I get an incoming Gtalk msg on my phone, and having not activated it.

More RAM! :-D
    Microsoft Product Adviser
    :nexusx:Android Developer

So far it seems not to be the case, I've had a few apps left in the background (GPS Speedometer for example) and it later came up as the biggest battery killer. Will try to observe what you say from now on.
    Sounds like a poorly written app.. Nothing I've got installed even shows up on the battery meter when it's idle. You can always switch the GPS off with the widget if when not using it (which will save battery by itself).

Example, GTalk starts up on its own and signs me in. I sign out and logout. Few hours later I get an incoming Gtalk msg on my phone, and having not activated it.
    Never used GTalk myself... I probably have an account but have never received a message over it (most of my friends send messages over twitter/facebook).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links