512MB RAM? Are you sure?

This is a discussion on 512MB RAM? Are you sure? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Soon, I'd guess.. Since it's being centrally managed by google there's no wait whilst each provider sends 6 months adding their own breakage first....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 512MB RAM? Are you sure?

Soon, I'd guess.. Since it's being centrally managed by google there's no wait whilst each provider sends 6 months adding their own breakage first.

The list of complaints. Google better do it sooner than later. I also notice it only having 40mb of free memory and that will slow the phone down. My 3g would run at that and it kept freezing and doing stupid crap. But when I had got my 3gs it would have about 150 to 165 of free memory and it would fly through everything. That being said it explains why when i turn of the live wallpaper off the n1it started moving faster and didn't get as hot. The 3g iPhone did the exact same thing when I put video wallpaper on it. It got hot and laggy but the 3gs did not cause it had so much free memory to help that stuff in the background. Hopefully we will see the full potential of the snapdragon chip instead of 120mb of it. It is suppose to be 600mbs.

My nexus is constantly at 32mb normally, unless I kill 60% of the programs. I have lots of constantly running programs, but I prefer to have my processes at around 60mb free to keep it running smoothly.

I'm hoping google releases a newer version soon to free up some memory!
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Having less free memory doesn't slow the phone down - you're merely wasting it by not using it for something else. Of course using the extra 256mb will mean more apps can remain loaded so it'll seem a lot faster switching between apps when you use lots of them. The goal is to have 0 bytes free, but you really can't do that as it's necessary to respond to demands for small amounts of memory quickly.. so google set the limit at 32mb it seems.

Live wallpapers causing heat is just the processor being used... processing generates heat (and competes for time with other apps, which can make things less fluid). Can't say I've noticed it as a problem though.

I don't what your reading. But if you don't have enough free memory (disk memory) what is going to support the apps running in the background? You need a good amount of free disk memory so you don't lag or freeze. Your right the processor will heat up while processing. But it shouldn't heat up to the point on making it uncomfortable to hold.

It's all about memory management - something Android is very good at. The apps are loaded in memory already.. in the lifetime of an app its usage generally doesn't change a lot, but if it does (say, you're in a text editor and load a largish file) then it can simply decide which app is least used and tell it to go away* (unloading an app is almost instant unless the app itself tries to delay it, which would be pretty unusual).

btw. If your phone is getting *that* hot it sounds faulty. The warmest I've ever seen is could be described 'a bit warm'.

* Actually that's a simplification - the OS also has things like the cache using up memory that will be freed up first. eg. my fileserver has 26mb free as a 'headline figure', but about that excludes about 140mb of cache that can be freed instantly should something require it.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyHoyle View Post
    It's all about memory management - something Android is very good at.

Which is why App Killers are not needed.....

I think it may be faulty. But its not I can go to the Google store or T-Mobile to help with it.

I think the repairs are all handled by HTC. Try giving them a call.

Just a thought.. have you checked the battery contacts? Dirt/poor contact there will cause resistance == heat.

Come on dirt its 5 days old! I just Google's my getting hot problem along with my others and I'm deffently not the only one having this problem. Looks like Google is pretty busy with massive amounts of complaints. But yes it could be a hardware problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links