512MB RAM? Are you sure?

This is a discussion on 512MB RAM? Are you sure? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; If so, why does it seem to only have about 120ish when i kill all apps that are running? Anyone notice the same thing?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 512MB RAM? Are you sure?

512MB RAM? Are you sure?

If so, why does it seem to only have about 120ish when i kill all apps that are running? Anyone notice the same thing?
    Microsoft Product Adviser
    :nexusx:Android Developer

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

YXB
    Same here. I was hoping to have at least 180-250.

Well my old Droid had 256 RAM but I can only get about 150 out of it..

Quote Originally Posted by YXB View Post
    Same here. I was hoping to have at least 180-250.
    Whats funny is that when i dont kill all the apps, i would have 34-40ish MB's left pretty much 99% of the time.

YXB
    With ASTRO File Manager under settings - tools - Process Manager you can see how much mem each app/process is using...

Right now in the linux kernel, there is a limitation on how much ram the N1 can use.

After an update coming soon is released, you will have an additional 100-150MB of ram available to linux.

I found that info over at XDA, you can ask in the android IRC chat on freenode =)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredu View Post
    Right now in the linux kernel, there is a limitation on how much ram the N1 can use.

After an update coming soon is released, you will have an additional 100-150MB of ram available to linux.

I found that info over at XDA, you can ask in the android IRC chat on freenode =)
    Wow! I keep track of XDA and everything Android. But i did not see this. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by serialtoon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredu View Post

Wow! I keep track of XDA and everything Android. But i did not see this. Thanks!!!
    I'm currently hopelessly addicted to the device. I can't afford mine until I get my college heck around the 20th, so if there's a post made on the internet about it, it's likely I will have read it. (same goes for all the youtube videos posted.)

^_^

The shipping kernel has a bug so the phone is only using 256 right now. The next update will allow the full memory.

100MB-150MB ramhack - xda-developers

Of course provided you're not running out it doesn't really matter - since apps are written to run on phones with 256 or less nobody is likely to notice. I wouldn't worry about the amount of free memory - you don't *want* free memory.. that means it's being wasted. You want as much used (for cache, preloaded apps, etc.) as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyHoyle View Post
    The shipping kernel has a bug so the phone is only using 256 right now. The next update will allow the full memory.

100MB-150MB ramhack - xda-developers

Of course provided you're not running out it doesn't really matter - since apps are written to run on phones with 256 or less nobody is likely to notice. I wouldn't worry about the amount of free memory - you don't *want* free memory.. that means it's being wasted. You want as much used (for cache, preloaded apps, etc.) as possible.
    Wonder when the big software update will come?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links