PLEASE READ: Do NOT worry about Apps running in the Background

This is a discussion on PLEASE READ: Do NOT worry about Apps running in the Background within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I very briefly used "Advanced Task Killer", but it my opinion it really seemed to slow things down. Seeing as that is a bit counterproductive, ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PLEASE READ: Do NOT worry about Apps running in the Background

I very briefly used "Advanced Task Killer", but it my opinion it really seemed to slow things down. Seeing as that is a bit counterproductive, I promptly removed it...everything seems to be running better now without a task manager/killer on board.

While I'm very familiar with how the linux kernel treats background apps, I'm not sure that this is the same with the phone. For instance, if I use "compass" and leave it in the background, isn't the magenometer still being used? It should follow logically that any app that uses any of sensors/chips that would otherwise be off would use more power.

Also, do the "add supported" apps stop downloading the advertisements in the background?

I guess I'll test my compass overnight to see if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by themikemiller View Post
    While I'm very familiar with how the linux kernel treats background apps, I'm not sure that this is the same with the phone. For instance, if I use "compass" and leave it in the background, isn't the magenometer still being used? It should follow logically that any app that uses any of sensors/chips that would otherwise be off would use more power.

Also, do the "add supported" apps stop downloading the advertisements in the background?

I actually wonder about the same thing too.

it would be nice to have some more information about this. I can't see it "explained" in the other thread, just an unnamed authority who says so...

Also, it is not only battery use that matters. What about data? Can an application download data in the background? If so, you might want to kill it when you're roaming...

So if there is a reason to kill applications, how do you do that? Do you need a kill app, or does Android support it natively?

Quote Originally Posted by themikemiller View Post

Well i would think not..If you exit most GPS apps the GPS signal stops as well. So i cant see why the compass wouldn't stop using the magenometer. But yea test it let us no!

i dont know when you have a buch of apps running in the background your memory shows low even if they arent really doing anything at the time....and isnt it true that the more memory you have available the faster the phone? i dunno by that logic it would be helpful to kill apps that are running in the background.

p.s. at the end of the day when i look at my phones battery usage its always usually says calls, screen, standby, phone idle and then its android system, email and taskiller. no other apps show in there
    :nexusx: Nexus One Beta Tester

That is absolute BS for certain apps. I tried out Settlers yesterday evening for a minute or two, quit it using Home key, left it running in the background overnight. By today's afternoon it ate 57% of my battery. I've not even touched it anymore. It was around two times more than Display. Fact.

10 applications running in the background would still eat up battery for sure.... nahihihihih

goes and uninstalls 'Advanced Task Killer'

thanks for sharing

Hey, maybe it is like leaving your car running....your using a little gas but nothing like you would use when driving. LOL Sometimes it is better to leave the car running while waiting for your passenger to get back than to turn off the car and start it again later. Who likes that logic there eh?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links