PLEASE READ: Do NOT worry about Apps running in the Background

This is a discussion on PLEASE READ: Do NOT worry about Apps running in the Background within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Taken from DroidForums.net....Since the Nexus One is almost a Mirror to the Droid and this is the subject of several Posts. PLEASE READ: Do NOT ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PLEASE READ: Do NOT worry about Apps running in the Background

PLEASE READ: Do NOT worry about Apps running in the Background

Taken from DroidForums.net....Since the Nexus One is almost a Mirror to the Droid and this is the subject of several Posts.

PLEASE READ: Do NOT worry about Apps running in the Background - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Originally post by cereal killer

This subject has been talked about a lot in here since the Droids release. I've talked to a developer who is very well versed in Linux/Android and he summarized the following as correct......

Android is different to most other phone operating systems. It's closer to Linux than any other type of operating system. Lots of services and applications constantly run in the background just like they do on Windows. However, and this is important, they do not have to use up a ton of resources. A service or app can be loaded, yet use almost no additional memory, and 0% CPU until it actually has to do something.

In general, killing off stuff is a waste of time. Android automatically asks apps to close that aren't needed when it needs more memory. Killing off some of the processes you are killing off also means it'll slow your phone down, as these processes only need to reload, and when you do need to use them it means the phone will be slower for the few seconds it takes to reload them.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

ah, good job posting this :D

So I guess I should get rid of my task killing app. To be honest, I never could really tell a difference in speed any way. I was just being obsessive about it out of habits I developed from my Blackberry days.

Quote Originally Posted by barnettj View Post
    I was just being obsessive about it out of habits I developed from my Blackberry days.
    Came from BB myself, I know what your talking about. Nothing wrong with killing a rouge app that is not programed correctly, but in general Task Killing is not needed.

Well this is good news to hear. One less thing to worry about now.

Roger that!!

I'll still be using my task killer. If there are 25 programs running in the background, and I only have 25mb of memory free, it's not only going to bog down the phone, but its going to waste battery as well.

I think its important to set your task killer to ignore system apps that will be restarted, such as voice dial, etc.

Just my .02

No, it isn't. Idle apps don't 'bog down tne phone' and don't use any battery at all (you can check that in the battery usage page).

I just read that Google is gonna change around the way you download apps. So it saves to the SD card because of the memory problem. I know for a fact it slows my n1 once it even crash/rebooted it self. So I'm not going to stop killing apps. Until than. I even called HTC and an I.T told me the same. You can Google it if you dont believe me.

I've *never* killed an app and my N1 is as fast as the day I bought it. Android is designed from the ground up to be used this way.

Just read the very first post of this thread. That explains the whole thing. Read the thread it's linked to even.

As for your first statement.. I presume you just misread it because I don't see what SD cards have to do with memory usage.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links